Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a side by side comparison of three different oil filters for our cars. I personally only use Wix oil filters in my car. You can make your choice, but for price vs quality, I will stay with Wix! They also have always held up every time.

#1 Microgard: $6.59 - Entry level filter - Lack of filtration area, fewer pleats, not as uniform quality ->Fram is only marginally better

#2 Wix: $7.99 - Premium filter - Great quality for price. Lots more pleats, top and bottom hats are much slimmer for more filtration. Very uniform and sturdy feel.

#3 K&N: $19.99 - Premium filter - Great quality, quite competitive with the Wix, possibly slightly better than the Wix however does it justify over twice the price?

Utilizing my parts experience I know I have found my filter of choice.

These filters can be purchased from any O'Reilly Auto Parts store.

Hope you enjoyed the post!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
So... do you work at O'Reilly?

LOL. Anyway, I do remember reading a post somewhere at one point where they compared surface area and filter material. Can't recall what won, but I remember it was interesting!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From my visual interpretation, the AC Delco is fairly decent, better than Fram or any economy filter. I do work for O'Reilly Auto.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I use mopar filters and have never had any problems. Oil stays clean, no sludge buildup.

Mind you its $12 for 6 with my company discount. Retails $5.50 each

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm thinking that if you change your oil and filter at frequent intervals and you're consistent with it, it shouldn't make too much difference if you use the economy brand filter.

Can't back that up with anything..just my take on it.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I'm thinking that if you change your oil and filter at frequent intervals and you're consistent with it, it shouldn't make too much difference if you use the economy brand filter.

Can't back that up with anything..just my take on it.
I second this, my dad never bought super fancy oil filters for any of his trucks, nor expensive oil. Castrol GTX and mopar filters are what took his truck to 560,000km

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
Holy crap! why in the Crap hOlio is that K&N so insane high!??? Is it washable and a life time filter? better be for that gay price holy but rape me out the hole!!!!

I buy the AC Delco for discount at my work. Change every 3k miles. bam nice clean engine.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
fram tough guard here.. I've never been a huge believer in filters making a massively huge deal worth getting picky over (as long as its new it will do just fine every 4-5k change).. but nice comparison regardless!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Hondas burn so much oil you don't need a filter, the oil is always new from topping up :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.