Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since last May I transferred and now work close to home (4ish miles round trip vs 20) Every 3k oil interval is one thing but that will take way more than 3 months lol. Even my original distance she was slightly underdriven I had it changed every 4-5 months on syn blend with filter. About 3500-4500 miles.

For those that go underdriven, do you go by miles or months?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
A full synthetic oil will never sludge up. We've had these discussions at length on cruze talk. Just run a full synthetic and go to 7500 mile changes. Use a synthetic filter and you'll be fine.

Sent from the sexy electrician

---------- Post added at 07:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

If that takes 12 months than so be it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I normally go by miles too, but it doesnt take long for me because i drive over 350 miles a week.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
I go by miles, sort of. I just wait till the Oil Life is lower, and then do my oil change. Usually around 10k miles - but I'm running Synthetic. Even the oil filter doesn't look deteriorated at that point, and I by no means am easy on the car...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I only run to about 6-7k with full synthetic. Which normally puts me at about 30-35% on the oil life readout. But I also think the previous owner hardly drove it and let it sit a lot so I am trying to clean out some of the buildup still.

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 AM ----------

I go by miles, sort of. I just wait till the Oil Life is lower, and then do my oil change. Usually around 10k miles - but I'm running Synthetic. Even the oil filter doesn't look deteriorated at that point, and I by no means am easy on the car...
What filter are you using?

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Yeah I do 10k with my ss on full synthetic also. With conventional oil I used to do 3000 miles
I run the Cav on Mobil Super 5000 and usually change around 4-5000 miles. Nearing 250k miles on the old girl!

What filter are you using?
Delco. The Ecotecs are a little sensitive to the filter.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I figured. Mine hasnt had a problem with any other filter i have used, but i will probably run a standard delco next time.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I always used mopar filters in my cobalt. Never had an issue. I ran full synthetic.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It'll probably take me 6-8 months to reach 3,000 so I guess i'll go by mileage with full synthetic.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
It'll probably take me 6-8 months to reach 3,000 so I guess i'll go by mileage with full synthetic.
Definitely mileage. Full synthetic, so 7500-10k or so.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I run synthetic blend....am I bad at 4k miles?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
It would take me almost 2 years to hit 10k miles on my car.... good or not I don't think I could let myself go that long on an oil change...

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

Only put about 12k on her in the 2 years since I bought her... almost never gets driven in the winter and if it's nice in the summer I am almost always on my bike....

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Yeah I do 10k with my ss on full synthetic also. With conventional oil I used to do 3000 miles
I wouldn't go that long on any FI motor I try to keep it around 6k with full synthetic. Only filters I've ran were K&N, Mobil1, Bosch and Acdelco over the years. So I'd say only the premiums if I can't get an Acdelco.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I wouldn't go that long on any FI motor I try to keep it around 6k with full synthetic. Only filters I've ran were K&N, Mobil1, Bosch and Acdelco over the years. So I'd say only the premiums if I can't get an Acdelco.

Total oil and amsoil signature series oil have both been proven on the cruze's to be good for 15-17k mile intervals.

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Total Quartz INEO MC3 is the oil. Sent to black stone @ 15k miles and was still good.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I run full synthetic and change it when the "Change Oil Soon" message comes up. It's been raining, so it's sitting at 0% now. It's at around 13,000 miles. I've changed it at 14,000 miles last time and I sent a sample to Blackstone Labs and the results were similar to the average 6,000 mile interval. I'm at 120,000 miles too.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.