Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this issue with oil leaking from the backside of the engine block on top. It’s a 2.2L Ecotec engine. There is some type of rubber cap just diagonally to the right of the oil filter cap. It had quite a bit of oil gather in it. Can someone let me know what this is? I have searched high and low for the name of it. I have included a picture with a yellow line pointing to it, and a yellow outline. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
156 Posts
That is simply an inspection hole that us covered by a large rubber plug.

Oil would collect in there for a few possible reasons. The valve cover may leak down into it. Not sure how it could happen, not really likely, but maybe the oil filter cap o-ring may leak and the cooling fan could blow oil back into the rubber plug ever time. But it’s higher up than the oil filter cap. Another thing that is could be if the oil is only on the very top of the block, and not higher up, is the head gasket. It can leak oil, and other the engine be running just fine.

Hope that helps. Best bet is to power wash or hand clean the oil off and see where it’s coming from.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That looks like you circled the lower rad hose.
It would either ve the oil filter cap like stated or the valve cover gasket

1 - 3 of 3 Posts