Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the leak is near the alternator and serpentine belt. We do not see the leak but there is fresh oil on alternator and pulleys. Where could this be coming from? We have had the car running and cannot find where it is coming from. Any ideas?

·
Registered
24 Posts
There aren't a whole heck of a lot of places it could be leaking from. It's either coming from the timing cover (plate that goes over the timing chains located on the passenger side of the engine - circled in green), the access bolt to the timing chain which goes through the head (circled in red),or it's leaking down from the valve cover (circled in blue)..

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Auto part Automotive wheel system

I'm thinking it is NOT the valve cover, because it's on the top and in order for oil to leak out and drip down, it would
1). be a mess
2). easy to see
3). If you looked anywhere around there with the car running, you'd see it.

I also doubt it's coming from access bolt, because, unless you had work done on it recently, there is no reason to touch this. Plus, the oil being splattered onto the chains behind that cover doesn't really put any sort of pressure go onto that bolt.

I feel it's most likely coming from the timing cover because the chains will spray oil all over the inside of the engine and if the cover comes loose, oil can spray out and make a mess. I don't recall the size of these bolts or the torque specs, but in order to see it, you'll have top get the car on a rack to see it. It isn't a hard fix, just very time consuming. If you haven't had much work done to the car, if it's close to or over 100K miles and the timing chains have never been replaced, it would be a good idea to do this. The chains do stretch and could jump a timing gear tooth-which will throw your motor out of phase and the car wont run right.

If you recently had the chains replaced, then someone might not have tightened all the bolts down properly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts