Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the leak is near the alternator and serpentine belt. We do not see the leak but there is fresh oil on alternator and pulleys. Where could this be coming from? We have had the car running and cannot find where it is coming from. Any ideas?

·
Registered
27 Posts
There aren't a whole heck of a lot of places it could be leaking from. It's either coming from the timing cover (plate that goes over the timing chains located on the passenger side of the engine - circled in green), the access bolt to the timing chain which goes through the head (circled in red),or it's leaking down from the valve cover (circled in blue)..

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Auto part Automotive wheel system

I'm thinking it is NOT the valve cover, because it's on the top and in order for oil to leak out and drip down, it would
1). be a mess
2). easy to see
3). If you looked anywhere around there with the car running, you'd see it.

I also doubt it's coming from access bolt, because, unless you had work done on it recently, there is no reason to touch this. Plus, the oil being splattered onto the chains behind that cover doesn't really put any sort of pressure go onto that bolt.

I feel it's most likely coming from the timing cover because the chains will spray oil all over the inside of the engine and if the cover comes loose, oil can spray out and make a mess. I don't recall the size of these bolts or the torque specs, but in order to see it, you'll have top get the car on a rack to see it. It isn't a hard fix, just very time consuming. If you haven't had much work done to the car, if it's close to or over 100K miles and the timing chains have never been replaced, it would be a good idea to do this. The chains do stretch and could jump a timing gear tooth-which will throw your motor out of phase and the car wont run right.

If you recently had the chains replaced, then someone might not have tightened all the bolts down properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Black Beauty,
My 2007 Cobalt LS Is leaking also. I bought the car in 2015 and always had the oil changed and made sure there were no leaks. I had the coolant flushed, then when I had the oil changed they checked everything and there was a list and serpentine belt had to be replaced. So took it to A1 and they put a new one on. So as time goes by I was still having the oil changed and checking to make sure not leaks.
After I had the belt put on I had them put new transmission cooling line in. And when I took it home I discovered a big puddle of oil under the car. so I took it back the next day and they fixed it,
Plus I took it in for a tune up, and had new brakes put on and back shocks put on and so on.
I thought I better have one person work on my car anyway Walmart and A1 are the only ones that touched my car! I was looking at my papers and it falls back on A1 I'm thinking well it has to be from changing my oil or the belt! So I took it to A1 and he says we don't do head gaskets. So, after reading your answer I think it is from the chain cover. I thought it was the water pump. My oil light never comes on.
Also when I first start the car it feels like it want to jump out of park and makes a bad sound. Like a clunk. I am up in the air with this one because you just can't trust some places! Do you know what the cost is for that? I need my car...
Thanks...
don't forget the crank pully seal, it will sling oil outward from the crank pully.

!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
An engine oil leak up front and a clunk when you put the car into drive are 2 different problems.
Clunk could very easily be front engine mount, located lower left side of the engine bay.( drivers side)

oil leak on right side….we need a bit more info…I suggest you have the engine thoroughly pressure washed with special attrition to the right side of the engine and below the air induction. (Remove the engine cover and the Plenum but plug the throttle body while cleaning). Once the engine is clean, it’s much easier to see where FRESH oil leaks are coming from. PS, check the transmission lines at the radiator for leaks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank You I will do that. The clunk thing only happens sometimes, when I get in the car and turn the key and start the car it sound n feels like it wants to move into a gear. It's hard to explain. I just don't want to get ripped off!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had my alternator, serpentine belt, and valve cover gasket replaced due to being told the oil leaked came from the valve cover but I still have an oil leak on passenger side and it's all over the alternator and serpentine belt again does anyone know where it could be leaking from I have 2010

·
Registered
7 Posts
1 hello I have a 2007 LS and yes it is leaking same place. Because, the only thing I could figure is in 2020 I was in Salt Lake and had my oil changed and inspected it for $70 and the list was I needed to have a serp. belt and fast. So, I chose A-1 to be my mechanic. I only want 1 and only one to work on my car. So. I had him put it on, it never leaked before until after they put the belt on. Well from my understanding is when you put the belt on is it is where the timing chain is! And that is where the oil is coming from! So, ah g that is where the S. belt is! My theory is they did not put it on right cause of how many mm or the measurement has to be right on! Cause if those belts are not on right it wiill make the oil splash and leads to other things too! I have been driving my car like this and it is getting worse. I drive 30 miles to n from every 4 days. I took my car to him and I said to him, your the only one that has worked on my car, and he said, I don"t do Head Gaskets! I know it is not the Head G. Because I would'nt have a car. All I ask is to fix the mistake and be done with it! He don't give a shit! Or nobody does really! I just need an honest mechanic that knows what he is doing! And gives a shit! It's a shame! So, I hope you find out what is is. And when you do let me know please. So, check with the belt and make sure the measurements are right. Good luck.
'

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Changing the serpentine belt on a Cobalt should not have anything to do with oil coming out of your engine.
Unless you have a cracked timing chain cover, the only thing on the passenger side of your engine would be the crank shaft seal.
Aside from that, you have the valve cover to cylinder head joint. The cylinder head to crank case/block joint. Then the timing chain cover to front of the engine assembly. Those are all of the joints where oiled could come from on the passenger side.

so have your engine cleaned and drive it a very short time and recheck looking for fresh oil leak.
By the way,how many miles on your Cobalt?

I might add, the belt only drives the alternator and AC compressor and has an auto tensioner unless you have a CA smog car then you might also have an air pump. No oil to slosh around with or without the belt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank You, it is coming from the timing cover plate for sure. That is why I thought it was the water pump. It is inside of that sqare looking thing that has the 4 bolts. The other thing that is strange is. sometimes when i first start the car the dummy lights are real dim and then when I drive a couple of feet then it gets bright. And then I notice at night time when I pull into my car port I can see my lights are kinda flickering. I wonder if it is the ground touching something. Then as I am driving if the dummy lights don't get brighter then when I shut my lights off from auto then it gets brite. I just bought a new battery after the safety theft crap I went through to start the car. Anyway, It runs good, I just bought brand new tires all 4. And it is paid off. I don't ever see any oil on the ground after it's been parked. I think it is burning oil. I have to check my milage and let you know. Thank You...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts