Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car (2006 Pontiac Pursuit, 2.2l auto with 140 000 kms)has developped a small oil leak that seems to be coming from rear main seal or oil galley plugs (as per TSB 06-06-01-013).
Been running 5w30 full synthetic oil since new and now thinking of going to high mileage oil hoping to get rid of this leak ( a few drops on the garage floor overnight ). Maybe lost 1/4 of a liter in the past two months.
Haven't heard or read anything really good about additives to stop leak
Trying to avoid engine or tranny removal...any suggestions!

Thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
You can try STD oil, but the leak will probably slow & remain an annoyance. Best solution is to (1) get some oil pads to put down on garage floor or (2) fix the source.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Spray your engine with engine shampoo, clean it good around the area where you think it leaks. Then take it for a short ride and check the source of the leak. Maybe just needs to retorque valve cover or a cover somewhere. The ecotec is not a leaker unless the oil pressure switch diaphragm splits. That is easily changed.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spray your engine with engine shampoo, clean it good around the area where you think it leaks. Then take it for a short ride and check the source of the leak. Maybe just needs to retorque valve cover or a cover somewhere. The ecotec is not a leaker unless the oil pressure switch diaphragm splits. That is easily changed.
Already checked the oil pressure switch and its not leaking!
I understand that finding the exact spot where its leakink from and fixing the leak is the best solution...just fishing here and hoping for an easy fix.........

Thanks guys

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the oil pressure swith located directly below the oil filter housing or is it slightly to the left ( when looking at the oil filter from the top of the engine bay)

Thank you

·
Registered
113 Posts
Car (2006 Pontiac Pursuit, 2.2l auto with 140 000 kms)has developped a small oil leak that seems to be coming from rear main seal or oil galley plugs (as per TSB 06-06-01-013).
Been running 5w30 full synthetic oil since new and now thinking of going to high mileage oil hoping to get rid of this leak ( a few drops on the garage floor overnight ). Maybe lost 1/4 of a liter in the past two months.
Haven't heard or read anything really good about additives to stop leak
Trying to avoid engine or tranny removal...any suggestions!

Thanks
Mine had the same thing. happened around 170000km its funny i thought it was tranny fluid at first. it was redish. It turned out to be the rear seal.
It will only get worse.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine had the same thing. happened around 170000km its funny i thought it was tranny fluid at first. it was redish. It turned out to be the rear seal.
It will only get worse.
did you replace the seal yourself? How $$$$ if you had done by a garage?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Is the oil pressure swith located directly below the oil filter housing or is it slightly to the left ( when looking at the oil filter from the top of the engine bay)

Thank you
I tought the oil switch was between the engine and the firewall...guess I was looking in the wrong spot.
Its hard to see if its leaking under the oil filter canister , even with a mirror...do you have to remove the switch to see if its bad...what size socket to remove it and will oil leak all over when its removed

thanks again

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I tought the oil switch was between the engine and the firewall...guess I was looking in the wrong spot.
Its hard to see if its leaking under the oil filter canister , even with a mirror...do you have to remove the switch to see if its bad...what size socket to remove it and will oil leak all over when its removed

thanks again
No, it will leak right from the middle where the wire connects to the tab.

Normally when the Oil pressure switch leaks on an ecotec the starter gets all gumed up with Oil because it sits right below. You might have a little bit of Oil come out but most of the Oil will be in the pan by then.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Car just threw a CEL this morning...P0030 and P0135...O2 sensor Bank 1...I assume that is the upstream sensor just at the exhaust manifold....there is no oil leaking in that area....car is starting to show its age...

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Nothing that can't be repaired for less than a car payment.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nothing that can't be repaired for less than a car payment.
Just ordered a DENSO upstream O2 sensor and an oil pressure switch (figure I'd give it a try for $10.00) from RockAuto for $78.00 cdn shipped to my place.

Do you have to remove the starter to get at the oil pressure switch or you can snake your hands in there and remove it with only a few scratches on your knuckles...

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Maintenance manual doesn't mention removal of the starter.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thak you all for your responses..parts should come in sometime next week and i'll post back with results for the oil leak...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oil pressure switch was not leaking...looks like rear main seal...debating between oil leak additive or changing oil to Valvoline MaxLife..do not feel like spending 700$ or 800$ on this car !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
You can't go to thick because of the hydraulic tensioner. However if you don't go thicker then it won't stop leaking. Its a catch 22. Nothing will stop a rear main seal leak except a new rear main seal.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hoping for a miracle here...from what i've read on different forums,some people seem to have had good luck with max life stopping small leaks (even rear seal)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.