Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else find that the oil life monitor doesn't work properly? I just had a CEL come on and did an oil change to see if that would fix it. Cause one reason for the code that came up was oil quality. I'd driven 10,000 miles or so and it was still at 13%. I usually wait a little longer, but I'm thinking it doesn't work the way I think it does. Is the monitor like a guide but nothing totally accurate? And I changed the oil yesterday and driven just 90 miles since and it already dropped to 99%. Seems inefficient to me.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
First off, do you use synthetic? Oil life monitor is designed for synthetic if you read the owners manual. If you use conventional oil you should do your oil changes at 50%. If you use synthetic you should change the filter at 50% and the oil before it reaches 0%

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Do what I do and change your oil and filter at 50% and you won't have to worry.

I was changing my synthetic at about 20% and the filter at 50-60% but I found the oil was always coming out completely black so now I do it at 50% and no more dirty oil :)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I use full synthetic and change the filter at 60% and the oil at 20%. You could probably use my old oil in a FORD after I'm done no problem.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Lol. That's some way to be. You don't notice your oil being extremely dark, basically black at 20%?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I am not fond of that meter, I use synthetic blend and change it about every 4k miles with a new AC Delco filter. Gets expensive and usually 40% of oil life on the gauge everytime, but want to get the best of the engine.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I use Mobil 1 and I change my oil about 5000 miles I'm at roughly 40% oil life. Seems pretty legit, because if it was built for synthetic oil, and you change conventional oil at 50% its almost spot on.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Lol. That's some way to be. You don't notice your oil being extremely dark, basically black at 20%?
Like I said you could use my oil in a Ford after I'm done. Both my wife's G6 and the Cobalt have decent looking oil after 10,000Kms when I change the filter at 5,000Kms. Still a nice dark golden color at that stage. My 2004 Mitsubishi still gives me the same type of oil after 10,000Kms and it has 414582Kms on it now.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
used to change mine around the 4 month mark which was maybe 2500 miles give or take on the SS and in the 60% range. Used mobil 1 and bosch or ac delco filter. Never driven any of my cars too much compared to most. Oil still looked good obviously but its not like I did not DRIVE my car when I drove it :) that whine was just too fine not to hear on a regular basis.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah gonna read into the manual to see. Because I'm up there in mileage and need to make this car last. I'll change it based on mileage from now on. Should have been paying closer attention.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
My 50% reading is basically 5500km not miles and that's when I change my synthetic

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sorry, but I'm old school...never pay attn. to oil life meters/gauges/warnings. Simply log all maint. in small notebook stored in glove box.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Shit, I've been trusting the meter too much. Need to start setting a hard limit of 5,000 miles for oil/filter changes, instead of stretching it longer because the meter was making me think I was wasting oil.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I usually change mine at 50% also. It never comes out real dark so I think it works that way and I don't have to pay attention to mileage. Although I had to go to one of those oil change places last change because I don't have a garage now and all my tools are still back in my old garage in Kalamazoo while I try to sell my old house still.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I changed mine last at 30,500 miles, now, today at 31,800 and my meter shows 56% oil life? I only use synthetics as well.....but do oil/filter changes at about every 5,000 miles, so always have to see "change oil soon" message for months. I work 2 miles from home, so not many miles put on my 2009 coupe, hence the low miles!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
It calculates droving conditions and goes by that. Same with even synthetic should be changed at around 50% if you're always in stop and go with high ambient temps and lots of dust and dirt blowing around

·
Registered
163 Posts
I changed mine last at 30,500 miles, now, today at 31,800 and my meter shows 56% oil life? I only use synthetics as well.....but do oil/filter changes at about every 5,000 miles, so always have to see "change oil soon" message for months. I work 2 miles from home, so not many miles put on my 2009 coupe, hence the low miles!
If you only live that far from your daily commute, you should definitely be changing your oil @ or before 5k miles, even with synthetic, because it sounds like you're oil is never getting up to operating temp. In that case, the oil breaks down a lot quicker. I've never seen the oil life meter go down that quickly, so it could be because of the short trips.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.