Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a bit of a dilema, I was traveling out to a friends place yesterday, as i rounded a corner I came face to face with a large lifted Dodge truck on a small road, I was forced into the ditch to avoid totaling the car. As a result I seemed to have punctured the oil pan and whatever guards it, I was curious if anyone knew how difficult it is to replace that. Looking underneath the car I can't see any where that it'd unbolt and replace it. Anyone happen to know if you have to pull the engine out to do this? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks, Eli

·
Registered
802 Posts
it's probably easier to do then changin oil... not literally but it is easy get the car on a lift locat the drain plug thus bein your drain pan and locate all the bolt's that hold that on

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had a similar problem, ran over a big rock and put a hole in my oil pan. What I did was drain what little oil was left, sanded the area and used JB Weld to seal up the hole. Worked GREAT. Total time not including JB Weld curing was approx 20 minutes.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry this is annoying or stupid for you guys, but I greatly appreciate all the help you're providing. That last car that I did anything like this to was my 86' RX7 haha. But I just want to make sure, your guy's looks like this too, right?

·
Registered
802 Posts
sorry mine look's kinda like that.. mine doesnt have the gash:bigsmile:..
just messin but yah all cobalt have the same oil pan.. and it is very easy to replace

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is gonna sound kinda bad, I realize.. But it looks like the pan is bolted straight to one of the engine mounts, I'm pretty lost here.. I'm afraid to undo the bolts cause I keep invisioning the engine slippin and squishin my head lol.

Thanks Scagnetti! That actually helps quite a bit, at least the part is on the way now! :)

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
This is gonna sound kinda bad, I realize.. But it looks like the pan is bolted straight to one of the engine mounts, I'm pretty lost here.. I'm afraid to undo the bolts cause I keep invisioning the engine slippin and squishin my head lol.

Thanks Scagnetti! That actually helps quite a bit, at least the part is on the way now! :)
no prob man. there was a little at the end of the thread about installation.
i looked around quite a bit, and that was the most info i could find.
still looking :)

EDIT-i found this also. its for an lsj though. not sure how different other than no intercooler pump bracket. should be very similar though.How to Drop the Oil Pan in a Chevy Cobalt | eHow.com

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Epically awesome!! I'm gonna get home as soon as I can to tackle this bad boy!!
I just wanna say sorry again for all the dumb questions, but you guys were on the the ball and were amazing help. Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mine looked like that but if you get the oil cleaned up and drained, it might not be so bad, Like I said, I put a gash in my oil pan and drained oil and cleaned up the excess oil and used JB Weld to fix mine. Sorry I don't have before pics, but I could climb under and take a pic of it with the JB Weld. It saves having to remove the oil pan.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was considering the JB Weld solution but my fiance said I couldn't :/ Yeah, as bad as that sounds I have to listen to her too lol. So I went ahead and ordered the pan, should be here in the next couple of days. Hopefully I can wax it out and be back on the road in a couple hours. Cause this walkin everywhere thing is kinda overrated haha. And I don't live in a city with public transportation.

Thank you all again for the help!! You've been amazing!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oops. Totally forgot to give an update.. My bad!! Anyways, it was fairly simple, I had to go out and buy a couple jack stands, but I should've had some anyways. What was I thinkin'? It popped down and out pretty easily with the help of the jack. Thank you all again for the help and gettin' me the info! You guys are amongst the greatest!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.