Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know if there are any additional oil pressure ports on the LNF block. I want to install an electric oil pressure gauge but I am trying to avoid disrupting the stock pressure sensor. I know that I can install a t fitting at the location where the stock pressure switch is and then put the additional sending unit there. I am trying to keep everything separate as to avoid computer codes and any unwanted headaches.

Any help would be appreciated

Phil

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I don't have experience with the LNF block -- but the LSJ, LE5, and L61 can't be that much diffrerent: There are 3 oil galley blocks plugs on each side of the cylinder block. There are also three oil galley plugs on the drivers side of the cylinder head -- BUT the oil pressure in the cylinder head is approximately half that of the cylinder block due to a restrictor orifice.

To install a tee at the original sending unit would be a choir due to the limited amount of space. Best to remote position a tee using a brass tube and block adapter.

The plugs on either side of the block are under the intake and exhaust manifolds - not much room on either side.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the forums for info, found nothing. Would you happen to know the thread size for the stock pressure unit. If I know that I can purchase proper size piping and adapters and get the ball rolling.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

I can't understand why GM wouldn't put an oil pressure gauge that reads out. I know the fuel pressure, air intake temp, boost, hp/torque, g-force, air fuel, spark advance and timing. But to me coming from old school V-8s I think an oil pressure can tell you the world of what your engine is doing. Especially lower bearing health.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I checked the forums for info, found nothing. Would you happen to know the thread size for the stock pressure unit. If I know that I can purchase proper size piping and adapters and get the ball rolling.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

I can't understand why GM wouldn't put an oil pressure gauge that reads out. I know the fuel pressure, air intake temp, boost, hp/torque, g-force, air fuel, spark advance and timing. But to me coming from old school V-8s I think an oil pressure can tell you the world of what your engine is doing. Especially lower bearing health.
The adapter you need to replace a galley plug is AutoMeter #2278 Metric Adapter (1/8" NPT to M12 X 1.75) -- can order through AutoZone.

Someone in GM knows the reason for not reading the oil pressure...the factory oil switch is just a "on-off" switch...go figure...:blink:

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Be careful when toqueing the Autometer adapter is also break real easy, it does not need much torque to tighten. Personal experience, got it snug then set torque wrench to 40 in pounds and it snapped, second installed at about 17 in pounds.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
brass is very easy to break. less than a quarter turn, no more. don't try to force it tighter.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

i have my stock oil sender disconnected and sitting in a box in the garage. i have a mechanical gauge in the car with a steel braided line, metric adapter and a/n adapters

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
When all else fails...read the "DESTRUCTIONS"...LoL!

"When installing metric adapter, tighten until the crush ring is flattened. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.