Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have been using marathon conventional oil 5w 30 and I have about 66000 miles on my 2.2 L61 and my mom works at an oil company and she can get shell synthetic blend 10w 30 for cheap and I heard the synthetic is Better for pretty much everything lol, so I was just seeing if I could make the switch.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Upon making a switch, just so you know, you could spring a leak if your car has never seen synthetic oils (they usually run a little thinner than you'd expect).

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Upon making a switch, just so you know, you could spring a leak if your car has never seen synthetic oils (they usually run a little thinner than you'd expect).
People say that and I don't know why. Synthetic keeps it's viscosity longer than conventional oils but 5W-30 is 5W-30. I've switched every vehicle I've ever bought to synthetic and never once sprung a leak. Sure it cleans out your engine and you might want to do a premature oil change after only 2000 miles on the new stuff, but after that you should be good to follow your oil % reading instead of mileage.

I even changed my 1993 Suzuki Carry with 180000kms on the odometer with no problem. That thing ran like a swiss watch after the change.

My Outlander is going to turn 400000kms this week and still doesn't need refill between oil changes.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
if you did spring a leak would going back to conventional fix that leak?
No it won't, and I wouldn't worry about a leak with only 66000miles. Make sure you buy a filter for synthetic oil too, these hold up better since it's going to be in there longer.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
^I've never seen a synthetic specific filter.... I just use wix and call it a day. Never lost a drop of oil.

·
Registered
126 Posts
No it won't, and I wouldn't worry about a leak with only 66000miles. Make sure you buy a filter for synthetic oil too, these hold up better since it's going to be in there longer.
i always use mobil filter even with conventional oil. dont know why just do. i like mobil but i have almost 97k miles on my car. idk about switching to synthetic oil. kinda worries me if my car ran convention for so long yanno?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
My Evo is running a FRAM filter with AMSOIL 30w in it now.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
^I've never seen a synthetic specific filter.... I just use wix and call it a day. Never lost a drop of oil.
This is the one I use for now, material is more like hepa as oppose to paper fiber.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Is that a Canada brand, never seen it. I will be on the lookout for a similar product though, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
It's an Americain company started in New-York City.

Purolator History

Purolator has been manufacturing, marketing and distributing filters since 1923. Ernest Sweetland and George H. Greenhalgh patented the first automotive oil filtration system. They called their invention “Purolator”, short for the words “pure oil later”. That same year, James A. Abeles converted a Twelfth Avenue garage in New York City to manufacture the product under a new company name; Motor Improvements, Inc. It was later renamed Purolator Products, Inc. and is now known as Purolator Filters NA LLC.

The First Oil Filter

The original Purolator was an upright series of seven twill weave cloth covered perforated plates encased in a heavy-duty cast container. The product featured a sight feed glass on one side so that the oil flow could be viewed and the filter changed when the flow diminished to a trickle.

Oil Filter Evolution

In 1937, the Purolator cotton waste oil filter was developed, providing the first filter replacement capability. Nine years later, Purolator introduced a “pleated paper” oil filter and this technology is still being used today.

During World War II, Purolator filters were installed on aircraft, tanks, ships and trucks, keeping the military machines moving through harrowing field conditions.

At that time, Purolator oil filters only filtered about 10% of the oil flowing through the engine. However, during 1943 Purolator developed the first “full flow” filter that was capable of filtering 100% of the engine’s motor oil. This led to the full flow lubrication system that is in use on today’s vehicles.

In 1948, Purolator developed the first original equipment (OE) “Block mounted” oil filter. This was an important milestone in the filter industry because now the oil filter had become a standard part of the automobile engine. Earlier oil filters were typically mounted on the firewall somewhere underneath the hood of the vehicle.

It was also Purolator who developed the first “spin-on” oil filter in 1955. Earlier cartridge filters were used, requiring the filter be placed into a housing or canister.

In the 1960’s and 70’s Purolator developed filtration products for:
■Transmission fluids
■Power steering fluids
■Hydraulics
■Coolants
■Crankcase emissions and other liquids and gasses

Then in 1996 Purolator introduced the PureONE oil filter. In early 2008, the Purolator PureONE oil filter evolved into the product you see on shelves today. Featuring 99.9% efficiency and a textured grip control this product allows for optimum installation and easy removal while protecting your engine. The Purolator PureONE filtration line also carries both oil and air filters offering the best combination of quality and value.

Purolator Today

Purolator has introduced more than 40 “firsts” in the automotive filtration industry, now has more than 2,000 filtration part numbers for automotive, light truck and heavy duty applications, and continues to work on product innovation and design. This culture of product innovation, design, and customer service still exists today insuring our customers continue to receive quality filtration products manufactured by the company that invented the business – Purolator.

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

This means you pay half of what I pay for it.

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Found in these fine automotive stores. lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.