Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to know what everyones oil of choice is? I think I may go with Mobil 1. Its a good oil. Also I was wonering if I could get an oil cap that says mobil 1 on it? I seen in my owners manual that some engines require mobil 1. Maybe the SS cobalt?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Mobil 1 Oil Cap

Mobil 1 Oil cap is PN# 12555685. Cap and seal retail for about $23 with your stock cap around $18. Parts Direct sells it for $12-$13, but shipping will KILL that. Smooze your local dealer for a discount! $15 or so would be fair.

GTO 1

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im not looking for a style oil cap. I just want a mobil1 cap. that way anytime the dealer goes under my hood they dont forget to put mobil1 in it!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just want to know what everyones oil of choice is? I think I may go with Mobil 1. Its a good oil. Also I was wonering if I could get an oil cap that says mobil 1 on it? I seen in my owners manual that some engines require mobil 1. Maybe the SS cobalt?
Read the wording in the owners manual very carefully and it will make a recommendation of brand XX motor oil, "or equivalent", not a requirement. It's illegal for a vehicle manufacturer to require the use of a given brand of motor oil or part unless it can be shown the vehicle wont operate properly without it, or the part or oil is provided free of charge with the purchase of the vehicle. The federal Magnuson Moss Warranty act covers this. Vehicle manufacturers specify a given oil to be used based on performance criteria that must be met to adequately protect the engine, which is not by oil brand, but by performance ratings. The Chevrolet Cobalt only requires the use of an oil that meets or exceeds GM standard GM4718M, which many, many brands of oil meet or exceed. So when selecting an oil for your Cobalt, make sure it at least meets the GM4718M performance standard, but use any brand of oil you wish. This information is usually on the oil bottle label.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
pretty old thread. ive always run castrol... don't know why. I'm gonna go royal purple for my balt though

·
Registered
240 Posts
pretty old thread. ive always run castrol... don't know why. I'm gonna go royal purple for my balt though
Just to give you a heads up, make sure it meets the GM4718M performance standard, or Chevrolet engineers don't want it in your Cobalt's engine. I looked at a bottle of RP recently and it stated it was an old API SL rated motor oil for 2004 and previous vehicles only.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
well it is more of a "muscle car" oil... Ill have to look into it more now. luckily my car has a whopping 380kms so it should be good for a bit

·
Registered
240 Posts
well it is more of a "muscle car" oil... Ill have to look into it more now. luckily my car has a whopping 380kms so it should be good for a bit
There is no such thing as, "muscle car oils". Oils are rated by API ratings and this determines their performance or not. Take out your Cobalt's owners manual and read up on the recommended oil Chevrolet engineers specify for your Cobalt engine. It is GM4718M rated motor oils. If the oil bottle states the oil is for 2004 and previous vehicles and you have a 2005 or newer vehicle, it would be prudent to adhere to that warning.

Anyway, just wanted to give you a heads up on that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
castrol syntec... i had 500 mi before my first change cuzi had the 2.2 and ther'es no tellin wat kinda crap they used from the factory.
With a new engine, any dirt or assembly lube, etc., that was inside the engine, or got inside the engine from the factory, is still inside the engine until that first oil change is completed.

Something to consider.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Mobil 1 - and you can get an oil cap that says Mobil 1

·
Registered
240 Posts
I use Mobil 1 fully Synthetic. Might try the RP as a few guys in the club are using it and are happy with it. Amsoil is another good one, but anything that meets requirements should work fine.
Be aware that in the recommended oil viscosity for your car, the RP bottle states that their older API SL rated oil, (the newest rating since 2005 is API SM, which even Wal Mart oil meets), is for 2004 and previous vehicles only. If you have a 2005 or newer vehicle, might be best to choose another product.

Read the oil section in your Cobalt owners manual. Only use oils meeting or exceeding the recommended GM4718M performance specification.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.