Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 cobalt 2.2 LT with 128,000. The oil I've been using is 5w-30 Kendall semi synthetic. I"m getting an oil change this Friday. I'm switching to 5w-30 Mobil 1 semi synthetic but some people are telling me to run full synthetic. Should I keep running semi synthetic or should I run full synthetic?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I was always told that switching to synthetic is bad. Run it from the start or don't. I post that because I am due as well and the previous owner used cheap oil but I want to put the best in it I can without causing issues, so I hope to be told that that is wrong.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Only Oil companies will tell you swiching to full synthetic is not good.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Only Oil companies will tell you swiching to full synthetic is not good.
I had a couple older mechanics say so. Said it would lead to leaks as the seals would not hold or something like that. Idk, sounded like rubbish, but they knew cars better than I so I wasn't going to fight them on it. lol

Again, I hope they're not right as I don't want to use regular oil. :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
older motors which have run conventional, over 100k miles, then switch to synthetic can see leaking seals due to deposits keeping old seals from leaking. then when you run the full syn, the deposits can wash away, causing leaks. but if you have run syn blend for the cars life, then id say its no problem

·
Registered
563 Posts
probly means like clean 5000 or something

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I'd say if the car ran junky dyno oil all it's life and it was built in 1980, and it has 295k on it and never had gaskets of any form replaced, going to a thinner weight oil probably wouldn't be the best idea...

But on these cars...technology has changed...I'd have no problem switching to synthetic at only 128k...car is just a baby.

It'd also be good for all the oil ports...since these motors like to gunk up over time if neglected.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I bought my car at 100k and immediately started running Mobil 1 full synthetic. Never burned or had less oil at every check or oil change. Changed every 5-6k when I was daily driving the car.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
143k as of Tuesday. It's all in how you treat the ride.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
what he said ^^ im due for a oil change soon gonna keep going mobil 1!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Fast is all relative to what you are doing. Hence why I am in autoX.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Ask Banker about the exit ramps last weekend and how no one could keep up. I wasn't even running my sticky tires! :p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.