Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the guy on cobaltss.net actually installed the stage 2 cams on his cobalt which he has a video up,it did sound cool though from the video.He didn't have to do anything else to it surpisingly besides get the cams installed and use the tifecta tuning.He hasn't dyno tested it yet but said the car is 200hp now its a 2.2 motor.he does have other things done to the cobalt but I would assume new cams would give you more hp and torque.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i saw that video too, that guy has every bolt on available.

the cams are one of the first things you can do interally to your motor that help push air faster out of your engine. i'm sure that other members can explain this better than i can.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah... he prolly does have about 200hp. Which is probably pretty well priced compared to buying a turbo kit which will put out about the same. But if you're looking for more power than that without F/I, good luck...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nah I am not looking for 300hp on a cobalt or anything,I have a project coming my way in the future.

·
Banned
384 Posts
he doesnt have 200 hp.

didnt we already explain this to you? cams on a 4 cylinder arent going to give you more than 20 maybe 25 hp and full bolt ons may give him 30 and thats VERY generous.

30 + 30 = 60
125 + 60 = 185

sorry but without a completely built, port and polished motor..no 2.2 will get over 200 w/o a FI and even then you still need a good tune and supporting mods.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was talking at the crank...

145+55=200

also there is that whole "about" think I added. = +/-10hp
(my rough math, lol)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I already know that,I wasn't born yesterday but he is claiming that he is getting 200hp but with no dyno sheet to prove that.I didn't put down cams gives 200hp instantly.Cams give you power but not a whopping 100hp.

·
Registered
46 Posts
nah I am not looking for 300hp on a cobalt or anything,I have a project coming my way in the future.
Heh, my goal is to put my bro's car to shame... just cuz. He's got an 02 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V with intake and exhaust. It's pretty nice, and I think that's a good goal for me for now.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nothing wrong with having a goal for your car.the only thing I am really doing to my cobalt is getting the downpipe that I need to connect the header and get the intake manifold and I am done,but I guess I can tune the car as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
nothing wrong with having a goal for your car.the only thing I am really doing to my cobalt is getting the downpipe that I need to connect the header and get the intake manifold and I am done,but I guess I can tune the car as well.
I wouldn't tune it if that's all you are doing. It's a waste of money for the price.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I was originally going to put in a supercharger,I guess I could still put in a supercharger since ebay has them at times for 250 a eaton m62 supercharger,then use the tune that way.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yeah... he prolly does have about 200hp. Which is probably pretty well priced compared to buying a turbo kit which will put out about the same. But if you're looking for more power than that without F/I, good luck...
Even running relatively low boost (8-10psi) a turbo is gonna give you a better gain than cams, but I guess you said "about". Especially since most people have no idea how to profile and pick the right cam for their motor lol.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
well even if the guy did put a turbo in the the car later on with the stage 2 cams,I have heard that it will cause problems where it wont run right.

·
Banned
384 Posts
I wouldn't tune it if that's all you are doing. It's a waste of money for the price.
how do you figure? he has full bolt ons a tune would do wonders for him. especially if he runs the 2.4 intake mani. it takes so much low end away that hes gonna almost have to have get a tune..

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would think bolt ons with a tune will help out quite a bit

·
Banned
384 Posts
it would help you greatly. atleast 15-20 hp for sure.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if I can find a eaton m62 at a junkyard that works at least,I can slap that on my cobalt and get a tune for it then:p

·
Banned
384 Posts
sure...just slap it on. itll work perfect :rollseyes:

·
Banned
384 Posts
im gonna get a s/c and bolt it onto my motor then i can get 500 hp =)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.