Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Immediately after changing the starter (probably not related) when I started the car the security light was lit, POWER STEERING came on and the engine light.
I finally drove it. Security light is off but it's stuck in 3rd gear and the speedometer doesn't work. Last week when I let it run, the tach didn't work either.
The only code is for the speedometer not working which is obvious. This seems to be a common issue maybe the transmission control module is shot, or it's the ground wire that needs to be wire brushed. Does anyone have any suggestions or the whereabouts of the TCM ground wire.

I spent a lot of time fixing issues that shouldn't have worn out and my mother can't drive it still. Very frustrating!!

Edit-
The car sat for a good month when the starter died until I could fix it. I don't think a ground wire could have gone bad unless it's an upsetting coincidence. Maybe it's a sensor or fuse? I don't see any bad fuses and I swapped relays around though.
TIA

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
BCM ground is under the driver's seat and TCM is on the radiator support. You may want to remove and re-insert the blue connectors on the BCM to clean the contacts a bit too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BCM ground is under the driver's seat and TCM is on the radiator support. You may want to remove and re-insert the blue connectors on the BCM to clean the contacts a bit too.
I'll give that a shot, thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran a new ground to the hole in the TCM to the fender bolt and all is fixed! I hope its a permanent fix

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.