Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not to familiar with open downpipe honestly.What are the positive and negative things about open downpipe?Also does that just mean that the catback exhaust is off except the downpipe or the downpipe and exhaust system is off and just left with the headers on?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Its gonna be loud as S***!

You'll more than likely gonna lose power with the backpressure gone but only see a slight improvemet in the top end 5000rpm and up.

go for it and have fun with it, and if you don't like just bolt the exhast system right back up.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well no wonder why I beat my buddies cobalt that has a open downpipe then yesterday lol.I was just curious on what it does,but if people lose power because of it no reason to do that then.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Well as we have all seen with fart cans, people do stupid stuff just to be loud. Any of our Cobalts are not pushing enough exhaust gasses to get any advantage from an open downpipe, and it would most likely hurt performance. In response to the original question, open DP setups go from header to dp to cat and then nothing. There are positives to this, but mostly for bigger engine cars, and even then they mostly use cutouts.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yes... ^^ he is right... you need a lot more power to benefit from a open down pipe and none of our cars are even close to producing that much yet. Plus it is obnoxiously loud. Some cars have a handle that lets you just open a valve so it lets you run opend downpipe or flip it the other way and you run your regular exhaust

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yes... ^^ he is right... you need a lot more power to benefit from a open down pipe and none of our cars are even close to producing that much yet. Plus it is obnoxiously loud. Some cars have a handle that lets you just open a valve so it lets you run opend downpipe or flip it the other way and you run your regular exhaust
A cutout

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yea.. i believe it is shaped like a y piece

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ah ok,I have read somewhere a lot of muscle cars do that,but its understandable since those are bigger motors,yeah my one friend doesn't have a exhaust on his cobalt actually.I don't know when he will put his exhaust back on.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yea either that or when he car really starts having issues.

·
Banned
384 Posts
he said he beat it? how is his 2.2 beating an all out drag car?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Please dont do this lol thats all I have to say

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.