Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi People,

After researching a Cobalt for days, visiting a dealer, etc, I am very depressed, as this was the best car I found on the market for my daughter( new driver).

In helping her find a good car, we test drove 2 of them, and both stick shifting was way too stiff. Everything else on the car was great, unlike the overrated Jap/Korean cars. BUT, is it just me (AND my daughter) that we find these cars' man trans so dang stiff? Why (left elbow on desk, holding head in hand, depressed)?? Must I start a search for another car all over again??

Comments/ideas very much appreciated.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Manual Transmission Way Too Stiff

Hi People,

Not sure if this is the best forum but here it goes:

Considering a new cobalt, test drove 2 of them, and me and my daughter (Im buying it for her...1st car) found the gearbox especially 1st gear way too stiff to engage. Is this normal? Also,k other gears stiff, but not like the terrible 1st. We really like the car otherwise, and would hate to reject it, but W have never driven such a stiff transmission.

Comments greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I noticed this when I first bought the car. I had a ford contour with a 5spd before it and it was a huge difference. you just gotta get used to it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have their manual, and at first I wasn't accustomed to it nor did I like it. But it grew on me like mold on a 6month old loaf of bread. Stiffness is good, I drove a family members Suzuki Forenza manual and it was sloppy and all over the place. Your family will get use to the transmission but give it time. The muscles around your knee and ankle need adjust to the movements and repetitive use.

Not sure if this was helpful
Personally I would rather choose stiff over loose

And welcome

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a bunch guys for the concerned, quick replies! Yeah, I agree that stiff is better than loose. Now, to be very clear though, it was not stiff as in moving the loosened stick from say, 1st to 2nd, it was stiff for the stick to engage the gear/"put it in 1st" (technically, to get the fork to push the the synchro sleeve onto the synchro ring).

I think Im tending to accept this car, hmmmmm........

Thanks, Men!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks a bunch guys for the concerned, quick replies! Yeah, I agree that stiff is better than loose. Now, to be very clear though, it was not stiff as in moving the loosened stick from say, 1st to 2nd, it was stiff for the stick to engage the gear/"put it in 1st" (technically, to get the fork to push the the synchro sleeve onto the synchro ring).

I think Im tending to accept this car, hmmmmm........

Thanks, Men!!
New car, use it. "or loose it" no I'm kidding. It might be that the cobalt your test driving still hasn't been "broken in"

Can I say one thing. Aim for getting a dark interior.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New car, use it. "or loose it" no I'm kidding. It might be that the cobalt your test driving still hasn't been "broken in"

Can I say one thing. Aim for getting a dark interior.
Yup...dark, the Ebony looks good. So, did your get easier to shift after broken in, say, after 5000 miles??

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I owned a 81 Cavelier MT, and an 87 sunbird GT MT. Both had smooth/easy sticks. This is just a tad different, not saying it is bad or anything.

·
Registered
462 Posts
reason it's stiff because it's meant to be more of a sport coupe/sedan... I've drove a couple of normal family manual cars before and clutch on them was horrible, no grip point and shifter just all over the place... I prefer my cobalt's manual over others by far. You'll get used to it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yup...dark, the Ebony looks good. So, did your get easier to shift after broken in, say, after 5000 miles??
I can't recall how exactly mine was after a few thousand miles, because that was a few years ago. My Hypothesis would have to be that after X amount of miles your car will change, but very subtle (unless your in the six figures then it wont be so subtle). Also it's mostly you and your body that will adjust to the way the car is after that X amount of miles

I sometimes will have trouble getting in to first from a stop. I found out that just changing it from say first to third, then back to first solved it. Don't think thats the same problem your having though. (the whole time having your Clutch depressed) (this rarely happens though)

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
Welcome to the froum!

As for the tranny, i find it nice the way it is. Like the other guys said, alot of other cars can be real sloppy and non responsive. For what the cobalt is i say it's great. Always goes right into gear for me.

Also if you have any other questions, try to search on our forum real quick and if you can't find your answer just ask, we will try to help!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, sounds like more positive replies, people. Im gonna schedule another visit...maybe another dealer (for a different car, of course).

Thanksagain!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.