Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I finally bought the stuff to install fog lights. I found a car with clean projector that weren’t all nasty like I usually find them. Also had the trim bezels, wiring harness, and switch. So I got it all. My car already has the wiring inside for the fog light switch. Not sure what I’ll do about the wood trim panel. Mine are silver. Might just repaint all the trim since it’s looking old in some spots.

I had looked at others LT bumpers before and they would have the tabs to hold the fog lights. But come to find out, my car has an aftermarket bumper that lacks the tabs. It has the removable trim bezels. It also has the hole where the fog lights should go. But no tabs to keep them in place. So I will now have to either buy a bumper and paint it. Or try to find a bumper that’s the same color.

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, that’s not how these lights work. I suppose I could epoxy them in, right? LOL. I’m sure you were really joking. Would look like crap I’m sure. I could have also done a home made wiring harness. But nah, I’d rather not go that route when I can just get a proper harness to take advantage of the already waiting fuse box positions.

So the back side of the bumper will have tabs that lock the lights in place tightly in a prefixed position. The lights can be adjusted up and down, not side to side. So it’s kind of important to have them installed correctly. If I’m patient I can find a bumper to match the cars color for pretty cheap. If I’m lucky I’ll find it at the same place I got the other stuff. The bumper cover is about $45. The stuff I just got in the picture was $85.

·
Say What again!
6,363 Posts
I wonder if that nasty fake wood is just something that is wrapped over the regular silver plastic finish. Have to imagine so, since the cars never came with that...thankfully.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the wood trim was only on the LTZ. This car was optioned out with tan leather interior. It is a 2005 model.

I’ll have to go back and look at it a little more to see if it has anything else worth taking off. It appeared to have the Pioneer stereo also. Not really worth taking since an aftermarket unit would be a nicer upgrade. Unfortunately the rear seat bottom was missing and the driver seat was not great looking. And the interior color is the opposite of what I want, I need a dark grey or black since light colors show dirt quickly in a work car.

·
Say What again!
6,363 Posts
Wow, I always like when I learn something new about these cars...looks like that probably was a 2005/6-only kind of thing...and that's probably for the best.

What parts are you looking for interior-wise? I still have my stock black ~40k mile seats (front and rear) in the basement, basically in perfect shape.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Right now the car has a light grey interior. It stains really easily with sweat. I put a beach towel on the driver seat during the week so I don’t get it so dirty like for after work. Which is working. But black or dark grey is what I’d be going for. Same with the door panels. If I can find black or dark grey ones, I’d rather have those. I could paint them like I did with my old Honda Accord. I also used vinyl to recover those. But I may pull the Prelude front seats and fit them in. Not sure yet as I’d have to modify the brackets to fit them, which I might get some spare seat brackets. Probably one of the later projects I may do in the future.

I’ll have to take a pic of the seats. They’re nice. But the velour fabric doesn’t match the Cobalt interior. Unless I have the rear seats recovered with something similar. I’ll keep the black low mileage seats you have in mind though. I would probably be better off with those for ease of installation. I have found some in the past few years, but always has something wrong with them. Like a tear or disintegrating foam.

·
Say What again!
6,363 Posts
I think the issue you might have is changing the brackets - they do not appear to be...at all removeable from the Cobalt seats, haha. I was, for a brief moment, thinking if I could fit Cobalt seats into my '81 Z28, but then I found out those brackets are not really something you can take off.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I noticed that. I would have to cut and weld adapters to fit the Honda seats. The Prelude seats bolted into the Accord seat bracket, each car had specific brackets, but the front seats were interchangeable. I know I could make them work. But would take some fabrication to do it. They are really comfortable seats though. The driver seat has an adjustable lumbar support and adjustable side bolsters.

·
Say What again!
6,363 Posts
That's kind of why I wanted to see if Cobalt seats would fit in the Camaro - because then I could get another set of the SS/SC G85 Recaros I have and plop them in there, and then I wouldn't have to worry about buying a seat that might potentially not be as comfortable as I'd have hoped - I've had them in my car for over a decade, so I know full well I absolutely love them from plenty of experience.

But yeah, with how the brackets are...kinda puts a damper on it. Oh well, back to the original plan of Corbeaus!

At the very least, I could just stand for new foam and a new driver seat cover, but that doesn't help me with the severe lack of lateral bolstering that all the suspension I have on that car really could make use of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts