Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I removed my bowties so I can paint them. I also removed the chrome plate and it removed some of the paint from the bowtie. My question is how can I remove all of the paint. Using stuff I have at home would be great anything that won't mess it up would be awesome.

·
Cobalt Master
2,529 Posts
Lol I have some some where I just don't know if its the right kind I should be using.
Would nail polish remover or some type of chemicals or gas lol?
Hmmm not sure I just used very fine sand paper or sponge then cleaned with soap then paint and clear lol

---------- Post added at 03:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 AM ----------

Are you just trying to remove the paint or scruff up it to paint it?

You could use the wire side of a sponge lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
A red scotch bright pad would work if ur gonna use sand paper, nothing more then 320 grit dry or u could use 400 grit wet. Either way your gonna be better off priming ur badges to help hide sand scratches. Just saying from experience.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would just sand, prime, and paint the outside of the bowtie. It will look good if you are ok at painting. That's what most do

Ya thats what I ended up doing. I messed it up with nail polish remover.

What's the best way to clean the trunk off from the old adhesive.
And what's a good adhesive I should use

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I didn't take the chrome piece off. I left mine chrome and black. But I used super glue to hold mine together and it has been like that for like 9 months so you should be OK with that. Or get some kind of strong adhesive that can hold up to weather.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
I just pulled mine off the car, did an ok masking tape job on the chrome and cleaned the area to be painted, no scuffing or anything and just spray painted it, did about 2-3 coats. Never had an issue with the paint flaking off or anything. I did use a gloss black high heat spray though. Any black paint that got on the chrome was easily scratched off using my finger nail.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't take the chrome piece off. I left mine chrome and black. But I used super glue to hold mine together and it has been like that for like 9 months so you should be OK with that. Or get some kind of strong adhesive that can hold up to weather.

I'm using the adhesive that came with my commando hook. I'm not even sure its going to work

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

I just pulled mine off the car, did an ok masking tape job on the chrome and cleaned the area to be painted, no scuffing or anything and just spray painted it, did about 2-3 coats. Never had an issue with the paint flaking off or anything. I did use a gloss black high heat spray though. Any black paint that got on the chrome was easily scratched off using my finger nail.
I'm using several to many coats and I'm using car paint

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would just sand, prime, and paint the outside of the bowtie. It will look good if you are ok at painting. That's what most do

Ya thats what I ended up doing. I messed it up with nail polish remover.

What's the best way to clean the trunk off from the old adhesive.
And what's a good adhesive I should use
I find brake cleaner works ok. Other solvents work good too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.