Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People,

2010 Cobalt LT, rain seeps into/through window gasket, onto my speakers!! Sheesh! Thanks, GM engineers!! Anybody have experience with this problem? Tries wrapping speaker with plastic but man, vibrates like heck. Any solution?

Thnaks!

---------- Post added at 05:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 AM ----------

Oh- weather stripping/window seal appears like new, no cracking/sun bleaching/etc. Seems to seap/drain down the front most end of the window.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My ZX2 leaks water through the window seals, which are totally shot and leave a gap to the glass. Been running polk marine-rated speakers for 3.5 years no problems. I'm going to pull them out in a few days, I'll take a pic to show what shape theyre in.

Although my ZX2's factory speakers worked after 100k miles/12 years, while my cobalt's front right speaker died at 92k/7years. My friend's 08 cobalt had both front right and rear speakers die after less than 5 years/50k miles.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Yup, common. Doesn't seem to mess aftermarket ones up.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Pretty much normal for any car - it's a wet zone, designed that way.

·
Registered
350 Posts
When you install new speakers in the doors, install a set of foam baffles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
They do help. Water does drain through the doors and out these little drain holes on the bottom. I got mine from Crutchfield, but I imagine Amazon might have them too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Most new speakers of any quality won't have paper cones and will not be affected by water.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Most new speakers of any quality won't have paper cones and will not be affected by water.
Exactly - and the baffles have been known to kill bass response on most speakers as well. The speaker is intended to use the door cavity as its enclosure. When you enclose the speaker that close, it can't produce any resonance to make the correct amount of bass.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.