Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first post here. As the title says I've gone over 5000 miles on my oil. I drive an '08 cobalt coupe LT. I had read about dexos1 oil and had GM dealership to put it in my engine.
At Oil life percentage it's at 62%. The Oil looks light brown on the dipstick. I've been thinking that's a lot of miles and wanted to change it and probably will, but is it really needed. I did a little digging and I believe ACdelco synthetic blend is what kind of oil it is..
So what kind of oil do you all use and how often do you change it.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
In cruze oil analysis results it seems dexos1 is good for 7500 miles tops. So I'd take it to 7000 miles and change it. Normally it's good to change your oil when it's in the 20% range anyway

·
Registered
168 Posts
I go 6000 miles on synthetic, my DIC shows about 20% at that point...oil always looks new as well!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a lot of miles. I've never been able to go over 3000..She just rolled over 100000 miles on this oil too. I'm about the 3rd owner I think. Planning on exhaust upgrade and injen CAI in a few days so I really would rather have fresh oil.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Meter in Cobalt is calibrated for full synthetic. So change dyno oil at 50%, blend at 25%. What is real important with the ecotec is to keep oil topped off so timing chain runs well lubricated and cool from a constant shower of oil.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have been using Mobil 1 EP since 30,000 miles 2005 LS at 123,000 now. I change the filter when the indicator is at 50% and the oil at 5% which is usually 8-8,500 miles. I do check and top it off as needed.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Just so you know, they sell a synthetic filter which is good for 12k miles

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
I've always run my Mobil 1 FS and Delco filter to 9-10k miles.

Speaking of which, I believe I am close for mine - I just looked up when I changed it last and it was May of 2014. :laugh:

·
Registered
266 Posts
i used to run 3k and change the oil when i was running normal oil, now that i use valvoline max life full synthetic i go to about 5,000-6,500 before i change the oil. you have to constantly check fluid too, in the past i went 3k before changing oil and it was 1.5 quarts low when i changed the fluid so i have started keeping a quart handy. idk where it all goes cause i dont have any areas that look that bad and i dont get spots in the driveway.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
1.5 quarts is a bit much for 5-6.5k miles...I don't think the Cobalt uses more than 1 qt for 10k miles. The Cavalier doesn't even use a quart in 5k miles, and it has over 250,000 miles.

Speaking of the Cavalier - I run Mobil Super 5000 Conventional in that to about 5k miles (last change was almost 9k, whoops).

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I always change the filter half way, does a much better job at keeping the oil clean.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
I'm too lazy to do that, always looks fine when I remove it.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
idk where it all goes cause i dont have any areas that look that bad and i dont get spots in the driveway.
Goes out the pipe like my wife's G6. It drops a liter every 3000 Kms. But the 2 Cobalts take half a liter when I change the filters at 5000Kms.

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

I'm too lazy to do that, always looks fine when I remove it.
My wife's G6 the filter at 5000Kms looks like somebody tarred it. Cobalts don't look too bad but they are black and have served their purpose and can't filter anymore. A filter in bypass is not filtering oil.

·
Registered
266 Posts
1.5 quarts is a bit much for 5-6.5k miles...I don't think the Cobalt uses more than 1 qt for 10k miles. The Cavalier doesn't even use a quart in 5k miles, and it has over 250,000 miles.

Speaking of the Cavalier - I run Mobil Super 5000 Conventional in that to about 5k miles (last change was almost 9k, whoops).
well i guess my cobalt is the exception to the rule, idk where the quart and a half went, and that was the last time i changed my oil at 3k with plain oil, my next oil change i went to the high mileage full synth and i keep an eye on it, about every 2 weeks i check it just to make sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went ahead and changed my oil. Put in pennzoil 5w30 syn blend. Supposed to be hot as firecracker outside so I can rest easier knowing I got clean life giving oil pumping through my little balts heart...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.