Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, 2010 big turbo LNF here.
My engine was just rebuilt in the last few months because of some spun bearings. Crankshaft was replaced as well since it bore evidence of getting pretty hot. Anyway, engine was rebuilt by my local performance shop and everything is peachy again. Except for one thing: Every time I drive it, it results in a CEL with codes p0016 and p0017. I understand they both have to do with the correlation between the camshaft and crankshaft sensors. Whenever the pending codes turn permanent, I also seem to lose boost and flutters like crazy. (not sure if this is related). Other wise car runs fine, boosts fine until the CEL shows up.
Before I start replacing sensors, or question the work of the shop, does anyone have experience with these codes and how to solve them? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
136 Posts
In my experience its either out of time or the wiring harness may have Knicks in it. I've seen both happen

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my experience its either out of time or the wiring harness may have Knicks in it. I've seen both happen
Thanks. I checked the crank shaft sensor harness and it looks fine. Haven't looked at the camshaft wiring yet. Car was rebuilt by an experienced shop that has done 2 prior rebuilds of my car and they swear timing is A OK so I'm pretty confident that's not it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Gotcha. Id go over the wiring again to make sure.
I don't have as much hands on experience with an lnf as I do lsj/l61.
Although since they were last to touch it id probably get them to figure it out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
They did replace all of the timing chain components right? I hope they did because that is what comes to mind with those codes. But, you say they were an experienced shop.

The wiring does sometimes become brittle around the engine. And can result in high resistance and cause false readings from the sensors. So there’s that to think about. If it’s intermittent, you might consider just putting in some different sensors before replacing sections of wiring. But throwing parts at the car isn’t usually what I like to recommend. Testing would be recommended.

You would have to see if it sets at code under the same conditions each time, but would require you to use a scanner to see the freeze frame info and be able to clear the codes out until it does this the next time.

I would think the conditions you are experiencing, with the codes, can result in the timing trying to advance or retard when the conditions are resulting in cam/crank correlation issues. It’s hard to say without seeing real time data though.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotcha. Id go over the wiring again to make sure.
I don't have as much hands on experience with an lnf as I do lsj/l61.
Although since they were last to touch it id probably get them to figure it out.
They did replace all of the timing chain components right? I hope they did because that is what comes to mind with those codes. But, you say they were an experienced shop.

The wiring does sometimes become brittle around the engine. And can result in high resistance and cause false readings from the sensors. So there’s that to think about. If it’s intermittent, you might consider just putting in some different sensors before replacing sections of wiring. But throwing parts at the car isn’t usually what I like to recommend. Testing would be recommended.

You would have to see if it sets at code under the same conditions each time, but would require you to use a scanner to see the freeze frame info and be able to clear the codes out until it does this the next time.

I would think the conditions you are experiencing, with the codes, can result in the timing trying to advance or retard when the conditions are resulting in cam/crank correlation issues. It’s hard to say without seeing real time data though.
Thanks guys. I do have a code reader and it sets the pending p0016 and p0017 immediately after starting the engine. They then become "freeze frame" when the engine is stopped and started again. There is no intermittence to this issue; happens every time. In browsing the forums I found that it could be due to an issue with either the cam phasers or a reluctor that got loose and shifted. It sounds more and more like a real issue to me rather than a wiring or sensor problem.I just called the shop to see when they can get my car in to take a closer look. I'll report back here on what they find for future generations :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone, 2010 big turbo LNF here.
My engine was just rebuilt in the last few months because of some spun bearings. Crankshaft was replaced as well since it bore evidence of getting pretty hot. Anyway, engine was rebuilt by my local performance shop and everything is peachy again. Except for one thing: Every time I drive it, it results in a CEL with codes p0016 and p0017. I understand they both have to do with the correlation between the camshaft and crankshaft sensors. Whenever the pending codes turn permanent, I also seem to lose boost and flutters like crazy. (not sure if this is related). Other wise car runs fine, boosts fine until the CEL shows up.
Before I start replacing sensors, or question the work of the shop, does anyone have experience with these codes and how to solve them? Thanks in advance!
I think I would do a compression check on the cylinder s

1 - 7 of 7 Posts