Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 G5 2.2L that had a timing chain failure. I removed the head and replaced the valves, all new timing chains and tensioners etc. I got it all buttoned up and it runs, idles and drives fine. Except, I have a code for the crank sensor. P0016. I cannot imagine the timing is out since it runs so well. Any ideas on what I should look at first? I cleared the codes and it returned quickly.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: After playing around with it a bit more, I noticed I have quite a bit of compression coming out of the oil cap when I remove it. I am leaning on the Intake cam being out a tooth. A few questions,

The car runs and idles really good. Will an intake cam being out a tooth still have good driveablity?
Can I move the chain a tooth without pulling the lower cover? Just getting the piston to TDC and popping off the valve cover and remove the tensioner etc?

Any advice is appreciated

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If you are sure the bottom sprocket marks are aligned you can do everything from the top provided you have 3 hands lol. First thing to do after you remove the cover is to zip -tie the chain to the sprockets, you may be able to jump the chain without removing the tensioner. If you do remove the tensioner you will need to reload it. I wouldn't run it to long out of time, plus you'll have no acceleration power at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what's bothering me. It's running good, but I'm throwing the P0016 and I have all that blow by when I pull the oil cap. I'm guessing the intake cam is off a tooth allowing compression to leak up.

I'm going to pop the valve cover off and see what it looks like. The tensioner is no trouble to reload. I had to pull it yesterday when the new seal failed. From what I read, I do not need to re-learn the sensors if I don't replace the crank sensor? I had a catastrophic timing chain faIlure that did throw a cam position sensor code, but that was to be expected.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Pop the cover and check your marks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.