Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I need to get new pads and rotors for my car and am just wondering if anyone has any good or bad things to say about the various brands I find at Autozone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly, etc.

Is there a big difference between them? Is there a certain brand or type to stay away from?

This is just for a daily driver vehicle so I don't know that it really matters a ton but I saw some bad reviews on certain ones and no reviews on most others.

Thanks!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Well, OEM is ACDelco, and they seem to work pretty well. I went ahead and switched to Hawk HPS pads and Raybestos rotors just like @MP81. No complaints other than more brake dust than stock.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Well, OEM is ACDelco, and they seem to work pretty well. I went ahead and switched to Hawk HPS pads and Raybestos rotors just like @MP81. No complaints other than more brake dust than stock.
See, I get less brake dust than stock. :laugh:

Black wheels help there too - you don't see the dust.

For rotors, Raybestos' are solid. Delcos are great, too, since they're OEM. You really won't go wrong if you went with a full Delco setup - I did just that on the in-laws Equinox, as well as my buddy's Cobalt.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yeah, I don't know what it is, but it's like my brakes are off an Aston Martin Vantage as far as brake dust goes. Stopping power, ehhh, not so much :laugh:

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Yeah, the HPS Pads are a nice upgrade - but the big issue is the size. The front rotors on my Cavalier are larger.

·
Registered
949 Posts
What? Geez, Chevy.
I wanna know why there's not an aftermarket big brake kit for the base model Cobalts that work for the 4 and 5 lug hubs.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
SSBC has kits that work for both 4 and 5 lug cars. The rear kits convert from drums.

TCE Performance has a Wilwood setup for SS's - but should also work on a rear-disc 5-lug base car. http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/hhr/cobalt/kits-6/

I'm still deciding which route I want to take - the TCE performance kit should bolt in up front (since the knuckle and caliper brackets are the same between base and SS cars, and the Wilwood rotors have interchangeable hats). Out back is another thing entirely. If I can replicate factory caliper mounting, it should work.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I totally never came across that when I was researching. It's more than I'm gonna spend, but I'm glad it's actually available!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.