Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't quite sure where to post this, but it's part of the exterior so I hope it'll do. I've noticed a paint chip on the base of the front passenger door. It's starting to rust and I'd like some suggestions as to what to do. The car was shot for anti rust last July. There's also a paint chip on the rear bumper over the exhaust tip, but that isn't a big concern at the moment. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
First thing I would do is apply rust converter. Then when it get's nicer out (april-may) wire brush, sand, rust convert again, etching primer, high build primer, sand again, paint and clear. I did both bottom of the front doors just before winter on the 2007 Cobalt.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sherwin Williams would be a better place.

·
Registered
340 Posts
And...maybe it's a good time to chum-up with some friends who know painters so you can plan your exterior paint scheme. Even just making a line around your ride and masking/painting the bottom 6" to 12" with a different color makes a difference and can look pretty sharp, if done correctly. This way it's not as $pendy as a 100% repaint.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Are you door hinges worn?

The bottom of the doors seem appears to be a pretty common place for these cars to rust...
And the rockers. mine has a 2inch hole in it now.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Are you door hinges worn?

The bottom of the doors seem appears to be a pretty common place for these cars to rust...
And the rockers. mine has a 2inch hole in it now.
Only reason your getting rust and holes is because at one time something scraped or caused the paint to chip leaving it exposed to the elements. When left untreated for long periods of time, the metal starts to corrode (rust). if you just leave it and don't do anything about it it will just keep getting worse until there is nothing left....

I've had my car since 06 and have no rust on the body, which is kinda impressive, since I live on the coast and the salt water/spary and moisture int he air cause alot of things to rust/corrode a lot faster then other places not on the coast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.