Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I decided to remove my side trim since I thought the car would look much nicer without it. So I get it off and all the various goop that held it on. So looks alright except it looks like there's some paint corrosion around the edges which I think is just from wear and tear (7 years up in Canada outside all the time can't be the best thing for paint). I have a couple pictures I can post if you'd want to see that illustrates what I'm meaning but it just looks like a bit of corrosion and clear coat peeling back off from where the edges of the trim previously were. Should I just try and buff it out, spray a couple layers of clear coat on top or what? I'm not too knowledgeable in the areas of automotive paint. And where should I host those images if you wanna see them?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Photo bucket is pretty good.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Well if you spray clear in it make sure it's a very even coat. If not you'll be able to feel a difference from factory compared to the new clear

2005 cobalt base model coupe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright I got some pictures so you can see what I mean:

Heres the side trim that was looking a bit off weather

Rear panel where I took the trim off which came out nice and clean

Here's an example of the corrosion you can see which was above and below the trim. The paint that was under it looks a bit lighter then the rest of my coat as well.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
goo gone will take care of that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I rubbed at it with more goo gone and from the looks of things there's little to no clear coat under them. I took a picture to show

I'm thinking if I just tape that area off and spray a layer or two of clear coar lightly it should fix things alright. Thoughts?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah I rubbed at it with more goo gone and from the looks of things there's little to no clear coat under them. I took a picture to show

I'm thinking if I just tape that area off and spray a layer or two of clear coar lightly it should fix things alright. Thoughts?
nope. buff it first to see if it helps. if not, you need to wet sand with like 1500+ grit sand paper to smooth it out first. then see if it looks good. then spray 3-4 coats of clear. wet sand with a smooth sanding block of 2000+ grit, or use one of those scratch repairing buffing kits to smooth it out. it wont look perfect, but unless someone is looking closely it wont be super noticeable.

taping will leave very noticeable lines that will look just like it does now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.