Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i was wondering if anybody can give me a basic Guess/Estimation of how much it would be to get a quality paint job on a cobalt, I want to paint the entire exterior cobalt and change it from Orange to White. Thanks!

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
If you want the job done right yes. it's a lot of work to actually change the color of a car. unless you just want a cheapo job and don't care about the jambs and all the under hood stuff being orange still.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Yes because if not done right the base paing will bleed through to the white, and you have to paint the door jams, under the trunk and hood, etc to get it all one color. Many people also shy away from cars that have been color change painted due to the fact they do not know why they were painted.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I had a cheapy Maaco job on my Jeep and it held up fine. With the exception of the trail damage it looked good 8 years later, even after sitting under a tree for 3 and half years. Polished up good and shiny again.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Either other companies are flooding review sites with bad reviews to make maaco look bad or many people who are happy with their paint job are too busy driving their nice cars to leave good reviews. Ive seen quite a few sites that were like 90% calling maaco a rip off and scam.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So If i got a maaco paint job how long could i expect it to last and how long are their warranties?
Oh and can anyone send me a picture of a car they have if they got a maaco paintjob?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
for paint, dont ever go cheap! you get what you paid for remember that, I painted my stripes about 2 years ago i used dupont paint but with a cheap clearcoat, now the clearcoat is falling off :/ should of payed extra for nason CC

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Here is my Jeep with Maaco $400 paint job, painted in 2000, 2 years of off roading and 5 years under a tree. this is before the clean up.

·
Registered
328 Posts
hey, any complete paint job is alot of money or I should say any color change. If you wanted to just repaint it orange it would be a HELL of alot cheaper than a color change. Same goes for two tone or any other crazy job, most people dont realize what goes into a paintjob or even how much materials cost. 5 grand might even be a low price for a complete color change... there are ways to get around a super high price tag but there so minor and only work for certain cars...

for example I am also changing the color of my car black to white but in my case I dont wanna yank my engine. so im more than happy to leave my engine bay black (it was my intention to do that all along) so that is a money saver... but now heres where it adds up... everything has to come off... fenders doors trunk hood handles mouldings GLASS! everything! That all takes time and money... not to mention the cost of paint and materials and LABOR! lol I'm getting away with alot cause im doing it all myself so ill have the cheapest color change in history lol

and to an extent yes going to black is wayyyyy cheaper cause the stock chevy black (8555) has only one color tint, where as lets say you pick a red or a blue it has multiple tints. certain tints are more expensive than others (i.e. Reds whites ) theres so much that makes it expensive but you DONT wanna go cheap. DONT take it to macco sure some people have ended with a good job but really every macco job ive seen has been CRAPPPP and what you dont want is to save all your money, for how ever long it takes and then have your car come out worse than it went in... if you REALLY want it nice or even decent ... even if it dont end up like SHOW QUALITY even to just look like stock ... Paint it the right way take it to a reliable shop and have it done properly itll hurt your wallet for alittle bit but youll be much happier with the outcome.

just to add to the other post...

Nasson is the cheaper clear/paint company Dupont is the higher line but they do also have some shit clears...so it all depends... if your clear is flaking off its more likly that it wasnt preped correctly ( probably in the sanding stages) and if i were you id go complain and get it redone.... even crappy clear will hold up for ages its all in the prep.

hope I helped alittle

·
Registered
911 Posts
Nason's is single stage paint, why would u clearcoat it? The reducer and catylist is what makes it shine, no need for a clear coat

re-edit, sorry forgot about Nason's making a base now, so yeah they'd need clear coat for it

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.