Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today im washing my car after i get out to look theres a bunch of swirly scratches from the car wash is the paint cheap or is it just me? Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
151 Posts
paint is cheap. I can't really tell but it looks like you have a black balt. swirl marks are a big battle on these car esp black.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
are you going through a touch-less car wash? if the car wash uses brushes or anything like that you are going to get scratches. and like tuner said, with a black car they show up very easily. This is not an issue with just a cobalt. it will happen to any paint job. The only true way to fix it will be to buff it out. or you can try some black wax or even regular wax and that will help make them less noticeable. buffing is the best way though because that actually eliminates the scratches instead of just trying to hide them. when you wash your car try to use a microfiber wash mit or something extremely soft and make sure to rinse it often to eliminate dirt from scratching the paint.

·
Registered
575 Posts
go with s scratch free was or something similar you can apply it yourself and you will be surprise with the results

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea thanks ima try to wax and buff it cause the scratches look really horrible and noticeable close up, and yea my car is black.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yes same thing on my car. :( And defiantly extremely cheap paint, my car is 6 years old I see cars that are 15 years old with better paint.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Yep, I washed my car 2 days ago and waxed etc. Every 2 weeks I generally wash and quick wax my car, and every time, i notice more and more rock chips and paint scratches. Someone on here insisted the rock chips were from tailgating, so I made extra sure to stay really far away from any other cars on the road. I still noticed new rock chips. And random scratches in some places that I have no idea how they got there...I don't think the paint job is the best, I wish they had another layer or two of added protection clearcoat paint on these cars...I'll probably end up changing my hood, i'mma clearcoat the f*ck outta it first!! Same wih ss bodykit when I paint it, gonna ask the guy to put extra clear on it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Yep, I washed my car 2 days ago and waxed etc. Every 2 weeks I generally wash and quick wax my car, and every time, i notice more and more rock chips and paint scratches. Someone on here insisted the rock chips were from tailgating, so I made extra sure to stay really far away from any other cars on the road. I still noticed new rock chips. And random scratches in some places that I have no idea how they got there...I don't think the paint job is the best, I wish they had another layer or two of added protection clearcoat paint on these cars...I'll probably end up changing my hood, i'mma clearcoat the f*ck outta it first!! Same wih ss bodykit when I paint it, gonna ask the guy to put extra clear on it.
I did the exact same thing! Still noticing chips on the car. Really starting to piss me off. :mad:

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
That was me that said that. and yes tailgating will cause rock chips but that is only one of the possibilities. I was just suggesting that because it seems like everyone on the roads these days follows too close. I will agree that our cars don't have a high end/ high quality paint job. but, any car no matter how expensive the paint job is will get scratched and nicked if you don't take good care of it.

I've had my car for almost 13,000 miles now and it only has very minor scratches and only like 3 or 4 tiny rock chips the size of the tip of a pen.

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Yes same thing on my car. :( And defiantly extremely cheap paint, my car is 6 years old I see cars that are 15 years old with better paint.
believe me these people with cars that are 15 years old and have better paint than yours either took Extremely good care of the car or had it repainted or buffed at one time. there is no way a 15 year old paint job will look super nice with the average person owning that car.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I detail my car once every few weeks, I get alot of compliments but I have spent 12 hours on my car before. For you guys that don't have access to a machine buffer or feel comfortable using one if you want really good results I suggest taking it to a detailing shop, they will make your paint look new again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So i got theses swirls to a bit. ki ofund that a good turtle wax helped:)..i also got two spots on my drivers door at bottom that keeps flaking away beacuase inside of door is starting to rust!!!andybidy else got this b.s problem?i really hate the paint jobs on these cars!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
So i got theses swirls to a bit. ki ofund that a good turtle wax helped:)..i also got two spots on my drivers door at bottom that keeps flaking away beacuase inside of door is starting to rust!!!andybidy else got this b.s problem?i really hate the paint jobs on these cars!
Well Let me ask you this, do you dry your car off with any sort of towel? because a dirty or non cotton or micro fiber towel can cause swirl marks. And I dont find are paint jobs on these cars to be that bad believe me Ive seen worse were I couldnt detail a car cause the paint was so thin. As for the flaking thats normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
575 Posts
ok here what you all are going to do believe it works miracles. wash your car with a really good quality shampoo car I prefer armor all orange color, then use liquid clay and aply it to all the areas except windows with a fibercloth or terry cloth, let it dry for 5 minutes then rinse with a power hose or the adapter usually use to water plants they come with a set that sprays kind of hard but not to much, this mught leave grey spots it's ok then apply turtle liquid wx or any kiquid wax of your choise, I personally like this one it's really easy to work on with any kind of color and doesn't leave white residue, make sure to cover all the areas start from the bottom to the top so you won't miss anything you can use a buffer or polisher I prefer to use my hand and the results oh my just try it and let me know....

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
That was me that said that. and yes tailgating will cause rock chips but that is only one of the possibilities. I was just suggesting that because it seems like everyone on the roads these days follows too close. I will agree that our cars don't have a high end/ high quality paint job. but, any car no matter how expensive the paint job is will get scratched and nicked if you don't take good care of it.

I've had my car for almost 13,000 miles now and it only has very minor scratches and only like 3 or 4 tiny rock chips the size of the tip of a pen.

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

believe me these people with cars that are 15 years old and have better paint than yours either took Extremely good care of the car or had it repainted or buffed at one time. there is no way a 15 year old paint job will look super nice with the average person owning that car.
Well I'm pretty sure i take just as good, maybe better care of my car than you, def. Better than the average person. I have 16,000 kms on my car and I'm not too impressed with the hood chips but i do live in a different area than you and there is a ton of trucks and heavy winters here which may contribute to the rock chips. But I take prime care of my car, so pls don't assume it's because I don't take care of my car. Ps I'm not offended or anything.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Probably a combo of car wash and cheap paint, I had chips inmy hood at 3K miles, my Ram with 135K looks better onthe front end, rockers are a different story though.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I detail my car once every few weeks, I get alot of compliments but I have spent 12 hours on my car before. For you guys that don't have access to a machine buffer or feel comfortable using one if you want really good results I suggest taking it to a detailing shop, they will make your paint look new again.
Well Let me ask you this, do you dry your car off with any sort of towel? because a dirty or non cotton or micro fiber towel can cause swirl marks. And I dont find are paint jobs on these cars to be that bad believe me Ive seen worse were I couldnt detail a car cause the paint was so thin. As for the flaking thats normal wear and tear.
BlackARCA06 knows what he's talking about. I agree 100%

Well I'm pretty sure i take just as good, maybe better care of my car than you, def. Better than the average person. I have 16,000 kms on my car and I'm not too impressed with the hood chips but i do live in a different area than you and there is a ton of trucks and heavy winters here which may contribute to the rock chips. But I take prime care of my car, so pls don't assume it's because I don't take care of my car. Ps I'm not offended or anything.
I live in Minnesota so we do have lots of gravel and salt on the road. maybe not as bad as you but we don't know that. I am not assuming you take bad care of your car. I'm just making a general statement. I have been detailing cars for around 11 years so I know a few things about how to take good care of a car and buff them back to better than factory quality. so no one is pointing fingers here I'm just trying to bring up all the possibilities and stuff lol

Probably a combo of car wash and cheap paint, I had chips inmy hood at 3K miles, my Ram with 135K looks better onthe front end, rockers are a different story though.
haha yeah trucks always get the rockers abused from rocks flying up

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
BlackARCA06 knows what he's talking about. I agree 100%
Thank you. :bigsmile:

And for everyone using wax/swirl remover to try to remove your swirl marks it may tone them down but your not gonna remove them completely. When I said I spent 12 hours on my car it was removing swirl marks, and I still didnt completely remove them till I spent another 6 hours the next day, and mine wernt even that bad that was after winter.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Check out this thread I put up! Its the Black Box treatment From Turtle Wax. Its 20 bucks at Auto Zone and the stuff is amazing

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/chevy-cobalt-owners-lounge/18764-all-you-black-balt-owners.html

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

Thank you. :bigsmile:

And for everyone using wax/swirl remover to try to remove your swirl marks it may tone them down but your not gonna remove them completely. When I said I spent 12 hours on my car it was removing swirl marks, and I still didnt completely remove them till I spent another 6 hours the next day, and mine wernt even that bad that was after winter.
When I detail my car Im on it for hours and hours. But thats the only you can really do it if ya want the cleanest car around! You really know your stuff!!!!! I detail cars on the side and you couldnt be anymore truer in all of your statements!!!! ANd where in Ohio do you live?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Check out this thread I put up! Its the Black Box treatment From Turtle Wax. Its 20 bucks at Auto Zone and the stuff is amazing

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/chevy-cobalt-owners-lounge/18764-all-you-black-balt-owners.html

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

When I detail my car Im on it for hours and hours. But thats the only you can really do it if ya want the cleanest car around! You really know your stuff!!!!! I detail cars on the side and you couldnt be anymore truer in all of your statements!!!! ANd where in Ohio do you live?
Thanks.

Im from Toledo. And yes to get your car looking good you have to spend hours.:laugh: but I like doing it. And the wax you used on your vehicle is a good wax I would recommend that but i believe I posted that in your thread.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how much does a basic detailing cost and can the chevy dealers do it? i dont trust the local shops in my area with shit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.