Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I just got new rims and tires that have a black finish. Therefore, I decided to paint my calipers and drums:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Overall:

The next project for the Balt that I plan on doing is that I will be getting a low profile spoiler put on it hopefully this Thursday as long as the spoiler that I ordered comes in on time. Will post when done.

Also, A couple of people mentioned that I should drop it. I was wondering if anybody else thought that it would be worth it and if anybody had any suggestions about what is the best way to get it done including where or what to use. I have never got my car lowered, so any comments would help.

As always, love the site and comments welcomed.

·
Registered
165 Posts
not too bad sir

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Looks good man! When i heard "painted drums" I was like uh-oh lol but there black. Good job!

How long did it take you to paint your calipers? did you take them off?

·
Registered
720 Posts
For people who can't/won't do it themselves, locally a shop will do it in a matter of an hour or two and they normally charge $25 per caliper/drum, but they're doing a group buy for $80.

If you don't want to do it yourself, look into a local shop...they're usually pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i have done this to my friends balt...its not that hard at all ...good work man

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Appreciation

Thanks for all the comments. I was thinkin about going with white instead of black to match the paint of the car, but I could not find white caliper paint. However, I really like how the black paint turned out.

Daman: For my calipers, I took my time because I had a work light outside while I did it around midnight. I have a late night job so i usually dont have a choice. I was thinking about taking them off, but i managed to keep them on and they still came out great. It probably would have been easier to take them off, but then I would have to disconnect a lot of stuff. To much work.

Overall, the whole caliper painting kit I used to clean them first and paint them only cost me $15. Pretty cheap compared to a shop.

Last but not least, If anybody has any suggestions or comments on my situation about lowering my car, it would be very helpful.

anthony82286 added 2 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

Sorry, but I forgot to mention about how long it took. I started around midnight and finished about around 3am.

However, I took of one wheel at a time to do each one and a gave time for each one to dry (about 30 minutes). This is why it took so long.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Nice man! well good turn out.

As for lowering your car I reccomend SSC springs from ZZPerformance They drop it just slightly less than sportlines and they are about 75 bucks less. I got mine for about 175 shipped. SSC is also a reputable company and mke quality products

·
Registered
78 Posts
i have a white sedan also and i'm going with white drums and calipers i got high temp 1200 degree paint and high temp engin clear coat, i'll post pics after i complete this project.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have a white cobalt my drum are white and my calipers are blue i paid 12$ for two cans of calipers-- and reg paint from walmart for the drum

·
Registered
62 Posts
what paint is recomended........ya'll say high temp....where do u get it from?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Looks nice. I've been planning to do this for a while, along with like 20 other things lol I'd use engine paint for the drums, but thats because i'd want it to be flat not gloss. Then caliper paint for the calipers(duh)

·
Registered
869 Posts
You need to get your rotors turned bud. As far as the drop goes, I love look of Eibach sportlines, they're one of the best in that field. But the SSC springs are good too.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I bought the G2 caliper paint but haven't done it yet. Gotta get on that before it gets too hot out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My opinion for the purpose of dropping a car varies. It all depends on how far you wanna go with the suspension of your ride. Are you looking to just do a simple drop, or an all out upgrade? I did the all out upgrade and it ran me about 1800 dollars. I agree with the look of sportlines though. Very clean look to the lines of the car when done.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It really wouldnt be worth the all out upgrade due to fact in which the cobalt has a solid rear avle for a suspension in which makes the car very stiff

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
This is going to be done to my car, next summer, when i get the new rims. Gonna be black on black painted calipers and drums with black rims, my car is silver. Going for the black and silver theme.

The drop I would go with ssc springs I heard that they are a pretty decent looking drop and handle pretty well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
can you put up some pics of the white painted drums/calipers, just so I have an idea. I dont have a white balt, but I'd like to see how it turned out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.