Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I tried to paint my trim pieces and i only did one piece to see what it would look like ( thank God ) and it came out really bad i did all the prep work and got the plastic paint and made sure to follow all the directions but still looks bad. Any tips on what to do or if anyone would want to help me by painting them for me? I will send them to you if you could please help me out. Please help car looks great but now trim looks bad.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
any pics? how is it bad?(like in what way)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the paint just looks so bad like pastie and bad idk i don't have pics yet but im so bad at painting stuff and these trim pieces are not cheap so i would much rather have someone who knows what there doing to help me out

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
you're probably doing to thick of coats

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Painting is a time consuming practice, you need to make sure you goo gone the pieces then soap them, rise and dry, after that, BUY KRYLON PRIMER!!! its white, and makes the color more vibrant and it sticks soooo much better...after that paint in very light coats, the first should look like it is just a speckled tint to the white, and continue light coats every few minutes...if it looks bad, wait till it dries, sand it down with a fine sandpaper and prep and try again....number 1 rule....TAKE YOUR TIME....i had the same problem as you too...i dint know how to do it...i learned though...good luck...

·
Registered
151 Posts
spray each coat in one continuous pass. I start the spray off to the left about 10-13 inches away from it then swipe to the right and left off the nozzle off the part. also paint the part in the position in will be installed..

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The prep work can make a huge difference in the outcome.
Make sure there is no oil or protectant of any type on the trim because the primer will not stick to it.
It's best like the other said to do a light coats. Then wait about 5 min and put the next one on but never real thick.

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

spray each coat in one continuous pass. I start the spray off to the left about 10-13 inches away from it then swipe to the right and left off the nozzle off the part. also paint the part in the position in will be installed..
That's another thing never start or stop spraying over the part.
Always go past it.

Just get a old piece of wood or something to practice painting on first then do the trim.
That will help out a lot.

·
Registered
151 Posts
the first coat of the primer should look speckled then progress with more light coats until evenly covered and then the same with the color

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I freakin hate painting lol, ironically I work at the paint desk at HD lol.

But yeah nice even sweeps and CLEAN THE PARTS WELL!!! acetone does WONDERS to remove grease and other oils. The first coat should look like its just powedered lightly on, if its covered by the first coat yo effed it up.:laugh:

·
Registered
151 Posts
if you put coats on too thick it takes a lot more time for that layer to dry and cure. there is a difference between dried and cured. keep them light and even which can't be stressed enough. sry nothing i am posting isnt in order and kinda scattered i'm posting as i think of things. I have a headlight project in progress right now maybe, if a get around to working on it again, I will do a how to on how to paint with a rattle can with tips and tricks.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

keep your fingers off the parts to be painted! wear latex gloves if possible the oils from your hands will eff things up

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Practice young jedi, many thin coats are better than fewer thick coats. Distance from the part is also a factor

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
A few things:

1) Clean the trim very well, ESPECIALLY if armor all has ever touched it. Armor all is sillicon based, and sillicon is known to screw with paint.

2) Prep work is essential.

3) Make sure your environment is dust free and out of direct sunlight. Also make sure to do it on a day where the humidity is low.

4) Good painting technique is good. Don't hover on a single spot for too long, light coats.

5) When using paint, use the same brand for the primer, base and clear. Mixing brands can have disasterious effects.

6) Wetsand with very fine grit sandpaper between coats in order to eliminate orange peel.

7) If you have access to a buffer, polish the paint to remove further imperfections.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.