Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I painted my bowties today and I think they turned out real nice.

I have been thinking of painting the gold part black and leaving the chrome around the outside being that my cobalt is black.

So yesterday I checked out the box of spray paint that we have and I found some rustomleum automotive plastic primer and some automotive clear coat. I didn't have any black paint, just some white, purple, and a textured sand stone........ I Figured that none of those would look real good so I made a trip to Menards on my lunch break to pick up a can of black.

I had the can of black in my hand when I seen all the automotive metallic paints they had.......... aaaaahhhhhhhh SPARKLY..... LOL

So I picked up a can of metallic black, I figured that it would look good, and if it looked like crap after the first coat I could always stop there and get a can of black.

I pulled them off today, taped them off, and scuffed them up a little with some 400 grit sandpaper then put a coat of the plastic primer on them, then sanded with 800 grit to get rid of the orange peal. Next was the first coat of the paint, then sanded with 800 again. Then the 2nd coat of paint, it looked real nice and the can said to clear it after 10 minutes so I waited 10 minutes and cleared it. After that dried I sanded again with 800 grit and put 1 final coat of clear on them.

They turned out nice and glossy and smooth, I am very happy with them, and they looked sharp too... :bigsmile:

Finally I put them back on the car and I think they really look nice. I think with the metallic black there's just enough differance that they don't get lost in the rest of the black........

Let me know what you guys think.... It was starting to get dark out so I'm sure in the sunlight they'll look even better, that and my car is due for a good bath...

I'm thinking of going with a black and silver/chrome theme on the interior eventually.......

Talk to you all later

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
What is that exact color called? i really really like it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah thats what i did to my cobalt when i got it. Those black and chrome tipped bowties look great on mine. I made sure i spent alot of time cleaning the area where i put the emblems back on.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Good choice twisted. You can nver go wrong with a black and blue theme. Just gotta do something with the chrome rims

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys I'm glad you all think it looks good :)

I think I almost spend the most time taping it off so it would look good, but in the end it was worth it.

The Color was Black night in rustoleum's Metallic line of paints.

Here is a link to it at grainger, menards was a lot cheaper than that though:
Spray Paint,Metallic,Black Night,11 Oz - Spray Paints & Spray Primers - Paints - Janitorial & Painting : Grainger Industrial Supply

I've used the same black metallic and clear coat on a engine mount I made for a hovercraft I built 6-7 years ago and it has held up real nice:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I think the combo of the metallic black paint and leaving the chrome around the edges helps it stand out a little bit. All black matching the car it gets a little lost...........

·
mmmm rice<3
837 Posts
thanks! just 3 coats. and i i was gonna leave the chrome, but i started taping it, and i was like yo f this, and painted the whole thing haha.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks! just 3 coats. and i i was gonna leave the chrome, but i started taping it, and i was like yo f this, and painted the whole thing haha.

I know what you mean, I spend A LOT of time taping them off so they wouldn't look like crap........... But then again I was also working on hanging drywall so any excuse to take a break from that for a little while worked for me............. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.