Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just an idear I want to paint my headlight housings.... what temp do u need to set the oven at to bake the headlights apart?? Let me know asap I wanna do it saturday....

·
Registered
575 Posts
o god I did this one....why I bought projectors lets put it that way. I don't remember what the temp was. I wouldn't do it just cause of my bad experience.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I think 15 minutes I remember that part don't quote me on it

·
Registered
236 Posts
i will be painting mine too, as soon as my back up set gets here anyway...

i read on another site that it's 200 degrees, but i forget how long to bake them.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I painted mine, it isnt that bad...

TIPS

I baked them at 200 for 10 minutes...prob should have went to 15 minutes to loosen the adheisive a little more...

When you get them out of the oven, be careful they will be hot, the plastic will cool off fast so you can handle them. Start at the corners and work your way from there. As soon as you can touch them start...don't wait cause the adhesive will cool and you will have to bake them again.

The little tabs that hold the lens on....yeah expect to brake a few...lol

Ive heard of people reusing the original sealant that is on there, regardless, go buy some Clear Permatex...GET THAT BRAND....Its only like 5 or 6 bucks...when you have them put back together, use the Permatex on the outside of the seal and make sure its water proof, you dont want moisture getting in there.

Here is a pic from another thread where you can see mine....ignore the salt...lol

·
Registered
768 Posts
Very nice nugz. I didn't even realize that you did that (maybe cuz I'm used to seeing mine painted).

200 degrees for 15-20 minutes. I went the whole 20 and they pulled apart just fine.

I agree with nugz on the sealant. I didn't put sealant on mine but you can never be to sure.... you'd hate to have to pull them back apart clean them up and then seal them again.

As for the tabs......AAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! I hate those things!

Also when you put them back togther do one at a time (you probably won't be able to fit them both in your oven anyways) and make sure you press and hold them together nice and tight. You could use tape to hold them tight (that's what i did).

·
Registered
284 Posts
i did 300 for 7-10

S

·
0 Posts
if you are going to paint them black... just get the ones off of e-bay... save yourself the trouble..

·
Registered
265 Posts
if you are going to paint them black... just get the ones off of e-bay... save yourself the trouble..
The point is to not have to spend too much money for most people. It's cheap and relatively easy to do. And You won't be wishing you had saved the money for a performance mod later... :cool:

·
Registered
575 Posts
I would rather just have my halos and they weren't THAT expensive. But, I'm saving up for my turbo build which will be in the summer so yeah lol

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
can u post a diy thread for this? that would be very helpful.
thanx
there was one done on it before the crash, but i cant remember who did it?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would rather just have my halos and they weren't THAT expensive. But, I'm saving up for my turbo build which will be in the summer so yeah lol
Ahh yes they may not be "that" expensive, but I highly doubt even that can beat the price of painting which I can't begin to imagine costing more than $20...

·
Registered
750 Posts
I did this mod as well. Check out cobaltss.net forums in the how to guide section for a DIY. There are several different ones but all the same idea.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Is that even safe.... I mean I would be a little scared to eat food that was cooked after that
Its fine, what little fumes are released will dissipate into the air quickly, I left the oven open for a while to vent it out...As long as your not boiling the adhesive and causing some form of physical change to it then it will be fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.