Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to paint my bowties black so i went and got duplicolor black spray paint and clear coat from advanced auto parts. Do i need to sand or any other kind of prep before painting??

·
Registered
314 Posts
i taped off the chrome edges because i wanted to paint the gold section. Sanded, primed, sanded, primed then painted, then shot some clear. was about $15 for the 5 oz can of laser blue paint from GM dealer. cost was about $20 and a couple hours allowing it to dry. did the front and rear back in 07 and they held up great!

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
You MUST sand it! it will bubble off if you don't. Clean it real well with alcohol after sanding. The way i taped off the chrome was taping the whole thing off then cutting it out with a razor blade. Paint and clearcoat for best results

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
yeah you have to sand it. but i recommend waiting a few days for the paint to dry to do clearcoat. honestly you dont even need it
me and a buddy painted 2 bowties and both got messed up after clearcoat
the current one i have now is just one coat of black paint on top of the sanded bowtie.
and yeah you can use medical tape to tape off the silver

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
^^ what paint did you use? A good high quality paint only needs about 15-20 minutes before you can put on another coat/clear coat. Trust me, the clear coat will help it last alot longer!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
rustoleum semi gloss protective enamel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.