Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i know there are a few threads about this already but i need some help.

I have a 2006 Cobalt Lt Sedan Stock except for trim on the interior i painted red.

My cobalt is red with stock Aluminum rims. How would i go about painting these black? What kinds of paint? Do i sand down? Do i have to take tires off or can i just cover with paper that's meant for painting? I would really like to do this any help would be appreciated. If pictures are available on this that would be fantastic or a guide.

·
Registered
318 Posts
here's what i did

I took the wheel off tapped of the tire and any other parts i dident want to get paint on with 1" blue painters tape.The I took 180 grit sand paper ans sanded in the "grain of the wheel " so to speak. then i cleaned it down with prep wipes to remove all types of dust and debree before priming.

For the priming i used dupi color sandable primer flat black did like 2 coats of it. you really wanna make sure that you cover it with primer well. as far as paint goes i used a flat black 500 degree engine paint also by dupi color. again i did 2 coats of that always making sure to say 12" away from the wheel so i did not get any drip marks.

for a finish its up to you i would recommend clear coating it with a non yellowing indoor/outdoor finish so that you have a little protection from the elements. that will give you a glossy finish compared to a matte finish. Again making sure to say 12" away from the wheel so i did not get any drip marks.

let dry and put back on

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.