Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about putting the factory SS wheels on but i may paint them, they are kinda scrated anyways. anyone have a how to or anything?

·
Registered
117 Posts
That's aluminum, right?

Well I know for sure that you need to scuff the surface very well first and use a few coats of self-etching primer, the only primer paint I know of that will stick to aluminum.

Someone here probably has more painting experience than me, though.

One thing I do know is when you get the rims balanced, have them put the wheel weights on the backside of the rim to prevent accelerated corrosion from the lead.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great help man! thanks.

i have never painted wheels but i have seen some stock SS wheels painted black with some of the lip left polished, looks awesome.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Get em' powdercoated gun metal or black. Save some money by prep'ing them your self first. Be sure to get estimates and check out value of their work

·
Registered
611 Posts
they also make this plasti-dip stuff. it's like a spray paint that you can peel off if you mess up.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
they also make this plasti-dip stuff. it's like a spray paint that you can peel off if you mess up.
Yeah, Ive heard about this over at another forum...
No prepping, just spray on, and it protects your wheels through the winter season. Ive heard some last 3 months or a year.
I guess it depends on the weather/ place you live.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.