Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm going to paint my bowties next week, after i finish changing the colors of my hvac controls, but what paint should i use and should i sand them before? also, I know how to removed the front one, but what can i do about the back one?
thank you

·
Registered
61 Posts
weird, i was just going to request a DIY for this...i need to know how to get the front bowtie off (the easiest way) and then how to prep the bowtie, what paint to use, how much paint and clearcoat to use, how long to let dry, and how to reattach the bowtie. i could probably figure this out by myself, but i dont want to mess anything up and i KNOW that many of you have done this easily. i'm not asking for a full DIY Guide with pics, but maybe some instructions or something? the diy on cssDOTnet absolutely blows.

SORRY TO FMNMICHAEL FOR TAKING OVER THIS THREAD : /

·
Registered
310 Posts
know what, nevermind...the front bow tie is held on by two 10mm sockets and the back on is doublesided 3m tape...? yes it is recommended that you scuff it up a little so the paint will hold on better. as for that, i used krylon fusion for plastic.

·
Registered
610 Posts
and clear coat!

·
Registered
328 Posts
i think im gonna write up a DIY for this type stuff heh

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha its all good black 2007, but ya lemme know when you write up that DIY killcobalt, because i really would like to do a good job on it. soon.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just painted mine with purple metalcast. No prep at all and no clearcoat. Been about a year and a half with no issues.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
yep front bowtie comes off real easy, like said above 2 10mm nuts. To paint it i would just scuff it up alot, throw some krylon fusion on there and a clear coat and bam. If it starts to turn crappy after awhile, do it again. It should only take like 25 mins.

·
Registered
610 Posts
i think there is a how to on this type of stuff somewhere. stuff meaning painting bowties, debadge, detrim, etc.

·
Registered
496 Posts
ok, so i understand how to do the front bowtie, but what about the back one? can i just mask it off?
i dont think i would take that risk and keep the rear bowtie on the while while painting it. you can take off the rear bowtie w/ string (like floss) to take it off. Double sided tape is what keeps the back one on. Then you can paint it, clean off the double sided tape off the bowtie and the car and then reapply it w/ new double sided tape. but you might want to mark the bowtie's place before you take it off so you put it on straight again.... so that's what I would do, but someone might have a different opinion

·
Registered
328 Posts
the fastest, cheapest and least hassel way is to just mask it up! taking it off is good to reduce overspray and to better handle it but all in all its whatever is best for you!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Does anyone know if Krylon Fusion paint cracks easily if flexed? like say if i were to paint a 10AWG wire?

·
Registered
328 Posts
what is the wire made of? does it have the rubber around it or is it bare wire? if theres rubber im almost positive that not only will you have adhesion problems but im sure itll crack but now given the nature of krylons "lazy-mans" formula it may just work but something like that shouldnt really be painted...but im sure it can be done given the proper materials...

·
Registered
496 Posts
what is the wire made of? does it have the rubber around it or is it bare wire? if theres rubber im almost positive that not only will you have adhesion problems but im sure itll crack but now given the nature of krylons "lazy-mans" formula it may just work but something like that shouldnt really be painted...but im sure it can be done given the proper materials...
its an insulated wire, so w/ rubber around it. i just had some extra Krylon lying around I thought i could get away w/ using it to spray paint the wire...guess not. ill give it a shot. i primed the wire now im just waiting for the primer to dry. here's me crossing my fingers. thx

·
Registered
496 Posts
ok...final conclusion...Krylon does not work in insulated wire. it peels off a bit, but nonetheless, i have a red wire now

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.