Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
mmmm rice<3
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so today i got new door speakers, installed them, and when i was doing that i figured, why not paint my trim. im talking about the strip above the glove box, around the head unit, thru the stearing wheel, that part. i sanded it down, got the plastic primer, and when i apply the primer, it fish eyes. not good. any help?? thanks a lot!!

·
mmmm rice<3
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. i talked to my dads buddy that works on cars for a living at a body shop and he gave me 500 grit wet sand and told m to sand it tilll i got the paint off, he said it was fish eyeing beacuse of the armor all that has been put on it through the years, i gave up for the night, so im doing that tom, is there an easier way, he said it's hell to do.

·
mmmm rice<3
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats what i thought. but but the plastic is origionally black, and the 500 grit takes it down to the dull gray, i gotta use a scotch brite pad to get it down to the black.

·
Registered
328 Posts
fish eyes are cause by many things. armor all for sure caused it .. you have to be sure to clean anything your going to paint very very well usually with some type of wax and grease remover and hot soapy water... fish eyes can even be caused by the oils from your hands so wear gloves... check out my how to may or maynot help you

post pics when your done!

·
mmmm rice<3
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
idk if they have this degreaser called simple green or mean green where you guys are, but it works amazing. i was gonna use pb blaster but my buddy said that it could eat away the palstic so i was like uhh noooo haha and yeah i def will, i just put a clear coat on it 30 mins ago. im letting it dry over night, and ill take pics in the am. i used paint thinner to get the stock paint off and it took it right down to the plastic, i was actually impressed,. i thought it woulda ate it away. but all is good so far, knock on wood.

·
Registered
328 Posts
well even though others say its ok i wouldnt have used thinner to remove the paint... thats bad... but if it works out in the end good job... to be honest you shouldnt have had to remove the paint down to the plastic, paint sticks better to paint now with the paint removed unless you used krylon fusion you very well may have paint adhesion problems... let me know if anything happens...what did you sand the plastic with before you primed?

·
mmmm rice<3
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well even though others say its ok i wouldnt have used thinner to remove the paint... thats bad... but if it works out in the end good job... to be honest you shouldnt have had to remove the paint down to the plastic, paint sticks better to paint now with the paint removed unless you used krylon fusion you very well may have paint adhesion problems... let me know if anything happens...what did you sand the plastic with before you primed?
yeah, i had to be super careful w/ the thinner but it worked. and i had to get it down to the plastic...it still fish eyed. and i just used a plastic primer, and 4 coats of black spray paint. and i used 400,500 and 600 grit sand paper, then used the thinner. wiped it with mineral spirits let it dry, and put on the primer,painted it. looks pretty decent, ill post pics tom. but i dont like the color scheme now, i have the dull black for the dash, shiny trim, and tan/creme everywhere else, soon the whole inside will be black, what did i get myself into haha.:toung:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.