Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my 2005 Cobalt LS, I have a parasitic power drain that happens unless I remove the relay plugged into the Cool SER/PAR slot in the fuse box under the hood. This is a 2.2 L and from what I have read online there is not supposed to be a relay in that slot for this model. Does anyone know what is on that circuit that could be causing the drain and if what I read online is wrong and that relay is used?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Once again Coby 7 comes through with the answer....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for posting the 09 photo. My 05 fuse panel is different from the 09. I see from the above post (Canuck2fan/Coby 7) that this relay spot is supposed to be used on the model with a turbo or supercharger (which mine is not). Having purchased this cobalt used, it came with a relay in that position. Does that mean someone went out and purchased a relay and mistakenly plugged an extra one in where there should be none? Does Chevy really equip the fuse block with terminals in the fuse block that are not used such that if someone plugs a relay in that slot, it would then cause a parasitic drain? If so great, because the simple solution is, I can just unplug that relay and all is good.

Here is a photo of what I have, the relay in question is the one circled in red.
Product Automotive design Eyewear Gas Electronic device

·
Registered
36 Posts
Some aspects of some Cobalts are fully wired even if the option is not included. On later models you can add cruise control just by getting a wheel with the switches and wire connectors on it. Install the wheel correctly then enable the software with a scan tool that will talk to the BCM. I have had it done on 2 different 09's with no issues. So GM definitely saved the shareholders some money in later years by using the same harness instead of having different ones for different options.

I have no idea about that location in the fuse panel on your model year. The easy way to check though would be to remove the relay and see if it affects anything. If all the cars systems work without it? You are right don't put it back in.

I would also not doubt that someone put a relay in there that was not necessary especially if the fuse panel ever had any work done on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, everything seems to still work without the relay. I have not seen the fan come on yet, but I have not had it up to temperature to do so and there are two other relays that supposed to handle the fan from what I read.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, everything seems to still work without the relay. I have not seen the fan come on yet, but I have not had it up to temperature to do so and there are two other relays that supposed to handle the fan from what I read.
You might have to work some to get the fans to come on LOL. Was well over 212 F before mine would come on. I was worried until I looked it up seems to be that 215 F + is the temp when the fans come on.

Enjoy the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts