Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
noticed my dash cluster lights weren't working one night then when i pulled into my driveway i always shut my lights off and my yellow lights weren't on, but worked with the turn signal.So i check the fuse box inside for the cluster lights and it was ok. Then checked the box under the hood and the fuse was blown so i changed it and the came on along with my dash lights, they surged a few then blew the fuse. any ideas where to start diagnosing?

·
Registered
47 Posts
It sounds a wire it's shorting out.
I would start looking for any wires that are torn or cut around the headlights,

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Cluster lights go off to tell you your taillights are not on/working. Check the connections and cables on those.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

which fuse was burned?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cluster lights go off to tell you your taillights are not on/working. Check the connections and cables on those.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

which fuse was burned?

The "PRK LPS" 15A was blown, i then changed it with a new one.All the lights came on then surged a few times then they yellow driving lights went off as well as my cluster lights

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Yea i burned that same fuse when i was changing out my taillights by mistake. So it keeps blowing after you put a new one? Our pros will need to help you here (im a noob haha)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
just got my car back from the shop my whole door latch assembly was shot and they replaced all that. just throwing this in there in case taking the door panel off and all the controls in the door could have anything to do with it.i did notice my mirrors dont work anymore haha doubt that has anything to do with it tho.

I just put a 20A fuse in there and they all came on and nothing has happened yet. dont know if thats bad to do but maybe it will atleast get me home at night

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Check your license plate lamp socket it always goes bad on the Cobalts.

Putting a bigger fuse is dangerous because you might fry the harness instead. Then you have a bigger problem.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
going from a 15 to a 20 probably wont hurt anythign but you should get to the root of the problem and not just leave it like that

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check your license plate lamp socket it always goes bad on the Cobalts.

Putting a bigger fuse is dangerous because you might fry the harness instead. Then you have a bigger problem.

Thank you sir it was that darn license plate light. never would of guessed that that would turn all my lights off..thanks a bunch guys!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
NO problem that's what we're here for. Don't forget to re-install a 15Amp fuse in the Park lamp slot instead of 20.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Glad to be of help. Old is one thing but you can't beat experience. That's what she said anyways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.