Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
I read these parts and such, on top of that to turbo my car I believe would in fact blow something up, any idea how much boost I'm allowed before damaging something?
I own a 2006 cobalt ss n/a 2.4 10:1 compression ratio. I was told if I go smaller pistons and rings I could get some serious boost, because my compression would be lower.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
You'll need to run E-85 but you're lucky being an 06, they had stronger internals and can easily hold mid 300's to about 400, I personally know someone who was around 460 crank on it. FYI it's not how much boost it's what flowrate, each turbo is different one could be fine at 30 PSI another could blow on 10 PSI.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yeah it sucks having to newer one amd having to replace the internals

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I'm putting in an 06 LE5, I don't get why you didn't go with HPT, what a mistake :(

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
350 WHP reliably on E-85 shouldn't be any issue, I'm not trying to max it, which is around 450, just want a great autocross car and rape some car that won't expect it.

My tuner ran over 350 for a year while as his daily and into the 400's for a while. I have a second car :) that's supercharged, the whine is great, get yours working.

Not to mention a rebuilt engine is going to run 3k+ to do it right, this with a low mileage motor and swapping it in is going to be about $1500, more of that is labor cost than the engine cost. Maybe at some point it'll be built but I don't see a reason to now.

Seriously never get an 04 or earlier mustang, unless it's the SVT cobra, just so damn slow.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I love the idea of a sleeper, purely for the shock value of running douche bags in big dollar sports cars deep into your rear view. Ever since I saw the Love Bug I was fascinated by the concept (Early 60's era Beetle toying with a Jaguar E-type). Even when my blower is set up and working well, it's probably not going to put down enough power to keep up with many modern sports cars these days. Pushing it any further on stock internals would blow the motor pretty quickly.

Then I'll have to make a decision. Ditch this car/platform and start over on something else, or swap in a big boy engine and give it another go.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Which is why I said go with the 06 2.4, it's just so much better to start with. Unless you go with the LSJ to begin, but that's probably harder to find stock. Biggest thing is HPT over Trifecta.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Slight rewire of the engine harness, I've seen it once. Didn't save the link but there was a good how to but very involved.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts