Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea how much for a passenger side new headlight from the dealer? I just found out I have a crappy DEPO headlight in place while the driver side's OEM. Unsure if the car was in an accident but it drives fine. Thanks

I thought about black stock-style headlights which look badass but most aftermarket counterparts don't hold up well as OEM.

·
Registered
280 Posts
check buyhids.com he has some oem painted black headlights.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Any idea how much for a passenger side new headlight from the dealer? I just found out I have a crappy DEPO headlight in place while the driver side's OEM. Unsure if the car was in an accident but it drives fine. Thanks

I thought about black stock-style headlights which look badass but most aftermarket counterparts don't hold up well as OEM.
Was it cracked? That sucks, headlights are made so delicate these days that the slightest impact will break the attachements.

If you're worried about a accident try carfax.com
If nothing shows up there, it's either very small incident or it was repaired off the books, in which case look for paint disturbances and/or unusual weld lines on the front rails/rat support.

You can also find cheaper used OEM on ebay for about 50$.

If you want black ones.... you're in the same boat as me..but honestly hard to find good quality that looks good, less you're ready to spend lots of time and money.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Was it cracked? That sucks, headlights are made so delicate these days that the slightest impact will break the attachements.
They're made to be that fragile on purpose. The slots where the lower tabs slide into are specifically designed to slice the headlight tabs when the headlight takes a hit.

·
Registered
212 Posts
They're made to be that fragile on purpose. The slots where the lower tabs slide into are specifically designed to slice the headlight tabs when the headlight takes a hit.
Haha yeah I know that's one of the many ways GM makes money. I guess I should clarify, I mean cracked lens? I hear DEPO has heat expasion crack issues i was wondering if it were all DEPO lights of just the gen 4s.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Haha yeah I know that's one of the many ways GM makes money. I guess I should clarify, I mean cracked lens? I hear DEPO has heat expasion crack issues i was wondering if it were all DEPO lights of just the gen 4s.
Generally the heat cracking issues are mainly Gen 4's.

1st and 3rd gens are the least problematic, their usual failpoint is mainly the coating.

2nd Gens are notorious for CCFL inverter failure. They can also be melted with incandescent turn signals (Mainly 05-06 models with those as DRL).

4th gens can develop heat stress cracks if Halogen lights are used (Since they generate more heat than HID)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only difference is the slight stickout from the hood. Depos are notorious for that. Other then that I can't tell from a distance and they do look exactly the same. But since the depo will wear out sooner, I'm gonna check out the OEM black lights from buyhids.

Does anyone have a up front shot of those (beside th website photos) and how they hold up? I also know they don't light up well as chrome. HIDs make up for it anyway.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The only difference is the slight stickout from the hood. Depos are notorious for that. Other then that I can't tell from a distance and they do look exactly the same. But since the depo will wear out sooner, I'm gonna check out the OEM black lights from buyhids.

Does anyone have a up front shot of those (beside th website photos) and how they hold up? I also know they don't light up well as chrome. HIDs make up for it anyway.
buyhid's lights are OEM lights that Mkulrey modifies. Its for the people that can't bothered to do it to their own lights.

If you're planning on doing HID though, I highly suggest getting the retrofit housings instead. They're more expensive, but they handle HID infinately better and they're not likely to piss every cop in the area off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.