Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've checked other posts on the same topic but I think my situation seems to be different.

I noticed that my car doors were not locking or unlocking at times not too long after I installed new speakers. (The speakers thing could be a coincidence.)

I changed the door lock fuse, and my drivers side started functioning. However, I don't get consistent functioning on my passenger side. I hear the swoosh sound, but the locks don't consistently move. This happens on the passenger front and rear.

I tried replacing the door lock switch. That didn't solve the problem. Do you think there could be another fuse besides the door lock fuse that interacts with this that needs testing? Could there be a need for a new door lock actuator even though it booth passenger doors locks are malfunctioning?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The doors get their locking unlocking signals from the BCM, before starting to change parts I would reseat the connectors on the BCM module adding dielectric grease and see if this improves the actuation.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The doors get their locking unlocking signals from the BCM, before starting to change parts I would reseat the connectors on the BCM module adding dielectric grease and see if this improves the actuation.

Would this be the case even if I am hearing the swooshing sound from that side of the car but the locks don't move?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
sounds like the door lock actuator. I have same issue with my driver side rear door. When I press the lock or unlock button, sometimes it will lock or unlock and sometimes it wont. I was told its te actuator I'm just to lazy to change it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to go to Pep Boys for road hazard repair on tires. They told me that the actuators were dead to the tune of $800 to repair!!!!

I just find it odd that both the back and the front passenger side doors went out at the same time. Is that common?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Did you try re-seating the BCM connectors?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm having this same problem also and the dealership is telling me that my actuators need replacing also, coby what is the BCM that you speak of

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Body Control Module, it's on the passenger side front of the center console behind the panel that has a fuse icon engraved in it. You may also want to swap the fuse for power door locks, it might be corroded.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Did you re-seat the 2 blue/gray connectors also?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Didn't you read the whole thread?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ok, misunderstood, so I have to disconnect both blue/gray harnesses apply die-electrode grease and then reseat the harnesses. I got it now. I'll try it tomorrow and see what happened. Thanks coby

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Corrosion sets in and increases resistance at the contacts reducing voltage going to the actuators. You can hear them try but low voltage prevents them from going all the way. Do all four connectors if you have time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So I did everything you suggested coby and there still not working, it?s weird when I first try the door locks it sounds like it?s going to work but it doesn?t then every attempt after that it like it?s getting weaker and weaker until eventually it?s not doing anything at all. Almost no sound what so ever.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
There's a ground tie point under the driver's seat that also tends to corrode and break apart from road salt from your boots if you live in a region where they apply salt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.