Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the day started with me replacing the 6x9s which was a pain but then i went to run the speed cable, rcas, and remote wire so i took out the passenger seat and when i lifted the carpet it was soaked but only in front of the seat and up close to the fire wall so my guess is something to do with the ac? i dont have a sun roof so it cant be that....also my service air bag light came on...any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Service air bag will come on if you remove your seat and disconnect the switch. Check you A/C drain it might be plugged with debris.

·
Registered
924 Posts
ahh should have specified...service air bag came on before the removal of the seat
Check the harness under the passenger seat make sure its connected and the harness is clean inside. It seems like this would be the issue as it was soaking wet and this does cause the Service Airbag message. You may be re pulling up the carpet again to solve this btw.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i checked the back seat and it seems to be wet there as well but i dont know if it was originally or if it was because i had the front folded over and it may have dripped:( i pulled the drivers seat and it doesnt seem to be wet so this leads me to think something to do with the ac still...and now i gotta get a part of the car repainted since i scratched it really bad when i took the seat out:/

·
Registered
924 Posts
Its best to remove the front seats is to remove the rear seat 1st, the bottom part anyway, then remove the front seats from the rear doors, never the front, never put a scratch on mine, removed the seats several times.

If the harness is wet, then that could easily be your problem. Get the "wetting" situation fixed first, do as Coby said and check your AC area, I would start by removing the Cabin filter and see if its wet too, if so then you have something going on with your AC, literally needs a cleaning.

Then, dry your carpet, then the harness, then check again.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i changed my cabin filter a few weeks ago i wonder if that has something to do with it? and i scrated the back of the car carrying the seat away because i was in my garage and was squeezing through an area its only a little scratch but it got it deep..also mine is a coupe

·
Registered
924 Posts
i changed my cabin filter a few weeks ago i wonder if that has something to do with it? and i scrated the back of the car carrying the seat away because i was in my garage and was squeezing through an area its only a little scratch but it got it deep..also mine is a coupe
Arhh, no rear doors for you, then retract the seats to the most lying down position, turn them sideways then kinda roll them out of the door.

Check the Cabin filter, although, I doubt that could cause excessive water dripping, however, if you pushed that in and it got bent on the way in and didnt cover the condenser completely, much dust could clog the condenser thus result in much leaking, and if your drainer pipe was clogged, condensation has nowhere to go but down, which would be on the inside of the firewall, and eventually on your passenger foot area. It may be quiet a bit of work to check that out, but I don't think nothing is broken, its probably just dirty, take it from me, I'm from South Texas, home and car A/C systems will drip if the air intake is reduced (usually due to clogged filter or clogged condenser), if your drainer pipe is clogged and your intake is reduced, you will get dripping and it will have no place to drip but down the firewall and then onto your carpet.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the filter kinda makes sense now if bending could have caused it...they dont really slide in like they should so il check that out

·
Registered
924 Posts
They don't slide in easily, but its the most neglected maintenance in all cars, nobody ever thinks about the cabin filter.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
It comes out through the fire wall and is suppose to drain outside of the cabin. Last time I just used a smoking pipe cleaner from outside going in.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But where at? I was looking under the glove box where that cylinder lookin thing is and don't see any type of hose just wires

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Let me check if I can take a picture....It's circled in red pretty much in line with steering rack bolt circled in blue. It is a plastic hose that sticks out from the HVAC unit through the firewall passenger side of course.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Edited previous post with picture. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Circled in red doesn't even look like a hose. But I will look when I get back to the car. What do these lines get clogged with exactly?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Bugs, leafs, dirt and debris mostly. Mine had a Scotchpine needle and everything backed-up against it. When I pulled the needle out I got a deluge.

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Don't know if you can access it from the inside with a vacuum hose through the cabin air filter or not. You might have to take the fan motor out if this is where your leak is coming from.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Mine wasn't completely blocked and would just leak in a very heavy rain when the drain could not drain fast enough. It would leak at the motor gasket if I remember correctly.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Hope somebody didn't throw an unsealed bottle of water in your glove box....

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Maybe that would work... never thought of that!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.