Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have noticed that my passenger side door speaker goes in and out alot. im not sure if its a coincidence or not but i have noticed that it hasent been working in the mornings going to work but when i come home my speaker works fine. whenever it does work it dont really sound that bad, although it is just a little bad sounding but not really bad enough to care. i took my door pannel off to see if the connector was bad or something and everything looks fine.

does anyone know what the problem is? maybe it getting ready to blow? i was going to take my head unit out to look back there but i wanted to ask first. i hate to buy new speakers if thats not the problem. it just drives me crazy, it works fine then it dont.

thanks!

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

sorry i found a post asking a similer question but i didnt think it had my answer i wanted, i just found out that when the speaker goes in and out that its about ready to go out for good. could someone confirm this just to double check?

since i guess my speaker is going bad, what is a good aftermarket speaker that fits just like the factory speaker? i dont want to mod or do anything, i just want it to fit just like the stock one that sounds good.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Probably just the connector at the speaker. I took mine apart last september crushed the connections a bit, sprayed with contact cleaner and added dialectric grease. Been working good ever since.

But if your speaker does go bad and you want to put aftermarket speakers you can also buy a GM speaker bracket.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea when i took mine apart i put dialectric grease on mine too when i had it apart, it didnt seem to help at all. i guess if it blows then i will quit working all together lol

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
its definitely not the head unit, certainly the speaker.
It might be the connector as suggested. If the grease didnt work, if youre brave enough and an upgrade is a potential in the future, Id suggest stripping the connectors and soldering them on again to ensure the connection is good. With new speakers, you chop off the connector anyways.
It might also be that moisture has gotten into the voice coil and it starting to rust, this however probably wouldnt have it working intermittently.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Could be water on the connector. I had the same issue you described. I ended up taking off the entire plastic trim on the door to gain access to the speaker. Water seeping through the molding damaged the speaker and damaged it. i had to get a replacement and taped off the connector to prevent any new damage.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
bean2080,

I see the original post was from Friday; did you have any luck resolving this on your own over the weekend? If I can be of any assistance (looking into warranty/recall information, assisting in working with a dealership) please let me know!
Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry i didnt get back sooner guys, i kind of got sidetracked lol anyway, after putting grease on the connecter on the speaker and that not helping, i took the little boot off that is between the door and car and checked that connector and that also looked fine. so after a week back and forth to work my speaker no longer works at all. my plans are now, to take the speaker out of the drivers side and put it in the passenger side and see what happens. if the speaker works then that means i have a blown speaker and possibly need some new ones.

im kind of guessing my speaker is bad, just from what is going on, if thats the case then i guess ill have to find some speakers that fit in the doors just like the factory ones, since i dont want to modify anything.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Car speakers are 4Ω @ 50 Watts. OEM speakers aren't very good to start with (Sorry ChevyCustSvc but true) so it will be a nice upgrade. Try to at least get a dual cone. If you get an adaptor bracket it's a piece of cake.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the info! now what is a recomended wattage to get for the speaker? i dont want my speakers to sound bad and be under powered. by getting the brackets, will any 6.5 speaker fit in my door and my pannel go back on without any fitment issues, or will i have to try to find speakers that will fit correctly?

·
Registered
985 Posts
should fit fine. I'm using infinity 6.5's without the OEM brack or any spacer and its fits great. If you have a really deep magnet on them though, you might need a spacer so it doesnt hit the window. Then again, the window might clear it no matter how thick the magnet, I didnt bother checking how close the glass was once mine cleared the window.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok i think im on to something guys lol i took my passenger door pannel off yet again (this time the speaker wasnt working at all) i took a test light and checked the connector plug at the speaker, both terminals had a light so i plugged it back in and checked the wires after the plug right by the speaker, both terminals had a light there too.

so with that being said, with my limited electrial experiance, i am guessing since i have power to the speaker and the speaker still dont work the speaker is blown? i hope it is as simple as that but i want to make sure first.

now one more thing, the other day i was in my car and the radio was up a decent amount so i could hear the music because only one front speaker was working. when a deep bass part of the song played my speaker started working again, then shortly after it quit working again. im not sure if that was a coincidence or what but that was the only time it has worked this week.

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

another small update, i unhooked the speaker and got one of the speakers off of my house stero system and just plugged the wires in to see if that speaker would play and it did. the speaker looks fine, no water damage that i can tell, nice and clean with no dust, it just wont play.

·
Registered
985 Posts
oanother small update, i unhooked the speaker and got one of the speakers off of my house stero system and just plugged the wires in to see if that speaker would play and it did. the speaker looks fine, no water damage that i can tell, nice and clean with no dust, it just wont play.
If you tried a new one in the car and it worked, then obviously its the stock speaker and its time for an upgrade. With it only working intermittently, i'd be getting some new ones regardless. You can find a cheapo set for like $30 that will be better than the stockers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats what i figured but i just wanted to post it up here. i found some sony speakers at walmart that are pretty cheap i thought. i dont want to get crap speakers, are they ok or do you all recomend other ones? i dont really want to spend a whole lot but i just dont want junk. here is a link to the sony speakers. they are only rated 40 RMS, is that too low? i dont want to over or under power, i want the best sound i can get.

Sony XS-GTF1627 6.5" 2-Way 190 Watts Car Speakers Pair - Walmart.com

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If you are keeping the OEM radio those are fine and will perform better than original speakers. Try to find a speaker bracket for the Cobalt for a more professionnal install and less chance of rattle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have been some what of the same problem with my 2007 cobalt but my passager speeker wont work and and my driver side works when it wants to but one thing i did notice is when my are not working the dinging noice i should hear when my keys in ignition i dont hear and i also dont were the ding noice for turn signals but my turn signal work but when my speekers are working everything dings and works like it should i have been trying and trying to figure it out but no luck for me

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
alyshag89,
I know that you're looking for some DIY advice; if you should ever decide to take this in to a dealership to get this looked into please let me know as I'm available to assist in whatever way I can through the process. Also, I can check into warranty/recall information on your Cobalt is you wanted to send me the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
1 Posts
now one more thing, the other day i was in my car and the radio was up a decent amount so i could hear the music because only one front speaker was working. when a deep bass part of the song played my speaker started working again, then shortly after it quit working again. im not sure if that was a coincidence or what but that was the only time it has worked this week.

This is normally a sign of a failing voice coil or tinsel leads in the cone of the speaker itself. One of the subwoofers in my Cobalt only works when I push on the cone, or turn the gain way up on my amp.

I too have the same issue with my passenger side door speaker. It hasn't worked in two weeks, but worked tonight on my way home from work. I had a new set of sony speakers in my cart today at wal-mart but second guessed myself at the last minute. I'm pretty sure the speaker is failing, but I would like to multimeter the speaker leads to make sure I am getting power.

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

alyshag89,
I know that you're looking for some DIY advice; if you should ever decide to take this in to a dealership to get this looked into please let me know as I'm available to assist in whatever way I can through the process. Also, I can check into warranty/recall information on your Cobalt is you wanted to send me the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
I already called GM customer service about this and there is no bulletin or recall related to this issue. I'm really starting to hate the Cobalt. Not even 50,000 miles and I've replaced brakes twice, entirety of front end bushings twice, stock tires lasted all of 15,000 miles. Seat upholstery is wrinkling/pulling away from foam and wearing through just from normal use. Linkage nut for windshield wipers was not tightened properly and fell off. Loose nuts aren't covered by warranty. Oh, and they decided to change my windshield wiper blades at thirty bucks a pop (without my consent) while putting the nut back on. So, it cost me 90 dollars to get a nut screwed back on.

I tried to do it myself, but couldn't get the wipers to turn off in the proper position.

It's getting close for the bushings to be shot for the third time.

I called GM customer service a while back and was told "Sir, you purchased a $15,000 vehicle. What do you expect?" (I sh*t you not. I was really given this as an answer).

I don't expect a panoramic sunroof, heated power leather seats, in-dash DVD navigation, carbon fiber trim, cruise control, 14 speaker stereo system, 18 inch chrome rims, park assist, a 300 hp motor, double wishbone independent suspension, traction control, ON-Star, four-wheel disk brakes with ABS,

What I do expect is a vehicle that is well put together and well engineered. The fit and finish on these things is AWFUL. It's like Chevy didn't even try. Everything with the interior is cheap beyond cheap. The stabilizer bar, control arms, and all bushings related to the suspension are JUNK. The front ends on these vehicles are so poorly engineered that they warp rotors like mad.

I wish I could go back to 2007 and not buy this car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.