Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a cobalt that has power windows and rear view windows:) For some reason the passenger switch to roll the windows down and up does not work, but if I use my driver switch to roll the passenger down; it works fine. Also my rear view power windows dont want to move anywhere except down, when I try to use the power adjuster, WTH is wrong? Thanks for the input cobalt ppl

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Since it is the same fuse that supplies power to both power switches I would tend to believe that you have a bad power window switch on passenger side.

I'm sure you meant rear view mirrors so...
Same with your mirrors since these are a totaly different circuit I think you have a bad switch there also or maybe a broken wire.

Cannot upload large .pdf files to this site so I have to convert them to Jpeg but can't do this on my cell, I will try to download pdf from GM server, convert and upload JPEG diagrams tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Since it is the same fuse that supplies power to both power switches I would tend to believe that you have a bad power window switch on passenger side.

I know this is an old thread but I just discovered my rear drivers side power window does not respond to the driver power switch or the rear door power window switch. All other windows and switches work on my 2009 sedan. Do you think it's a fuse?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Well it's not the fuse. According to my manual, one fuse in spot 29 on the inside fuse lock controls all the power windows. I pulled that and none of the power windows worked. I put it back in and every window worked except that rear driver's side.

There are two rocker arms that control that, one in the driver's armrest and the other in the rear door armrest and neither one move the window. Are they connected to one switch? Where is that switch located?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I would fair to guess that your power window motor has a dead spot or is just bad. Each window is controled by BCM. It would have to be one hell of a coincidence that both switches would be bad at same time.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I found a wiring diagram. Since there are two different switches and neither one works, I think that would point to the rear power window motor if I'm looking at it right. Although mine is a 2009 and this is for a 2007, I doubt that they have changed that much.

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

I would fair to guess that your power window motor has a dead spot or is just bad. Each window is controled by BCM. It would have to be one hell of a coincidence that both switches would be bad at same time.
Thanks Coby, I came to the same conclusion and was posting before I read your post.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Thanks Coby, I came to the same conclusion and was posting before I read your post.
It's not a race, lol, but kinda confirms our presumption.

·
Registered
498 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Let me check

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

Even though GM manual shows changing the whole regulator, I think once you have the regulator in your hands you will realize that you can switch the motor. Otherwise part stores wouldn't sell them. Plus GM sells regulator seperate from motor.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

Sorry it took so long GM server not very accommodating tonight. Would not let me convert foxit file format to .pdf.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks, I think I will take it the panel off and look at this weekend. I know sometimes those motors are held in by rivets and if that's the case it may be easier to replace the whole mechanism.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
@ least you have the how to. I think it's held in place by screws. Also there might be a fusible link with the motor because on your diagram it shows a fusible link.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I won't get a chance to look at it until Sunday. So I'll keep you updated. I'm in no big hurry to fix it but I do want it fixed. Last year I had to replace the drivers side door on my old S-10 pickup that my son is now driving. The door I picked up at the junkyard fit but the electrical was wrong. So I had to pull all the harness and guts out of the old door and put it in the "new" door to get the power buttons to work. I got it mostly functional but it didn't quite match up. So this should be a little easier:)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
That fusible link is meant to burn to protect the motor. Let's say your window was frozen shut and you were persistant in opening it and fell asleep on the button the link would burn instead of the motor. The power fuse is meant to hold while the four motors are operating at the same time so it would not burn just for one motor staying on.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I never did take it apart to look at it but I did bang on the interior panel a few times, thinking it might start up for some reason. Guess what, it did. It now works. I'm thinking there might be a loose connection in there but it's not high on my priority list right now since it's working.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Remember what I wrote in post 7, That is what a dead spot does in a motor. Whenever your motor will stop at that same position at that same spot it will fail to start unless you give it a kick (literally). That is why it is called a dead spot.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks. I'll keep my eyes out for a cheap price on a motor and replace it when I get time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.