Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check engine light in an evaporative emissions vent solenoid control circuit. Can you help me find solenoid on the car?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sometimes squirrels will chew the wires going to the solenoid, or it may just be disconnected. Check that first.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Check wiring first. If okay, disconnect by lifting tab, then turn counterclockwise I believe about 90° and pull straight out. Simple as pie.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. Ordered part will update next week. Iv learned a lot reading this forum for the past year when I got my 06 Balt I love it :grin2:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put in a new solenoid and disconnected the battery and then drove the car and the check engine light came back on after about 35 miles .Check the wiring at the plug with a multi-meter and had 16 volts with the key on. Went back to AutoZone to check with the scanner and it still says the part is bad now what do I do?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The code is just to point you in the right direction, check the lines and hoses for a split or a break. Shouldn't get more than battery voltage or your meter is reading wrong. Did you bench test the old solenoid?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pinhole rust on steel fuel-filler necks in the salt belt can cause this. Hoses too like Coby says. Don't know what part of the country you're in so not sure if it could be salt-induced.

An ever-so-slightly loose gas cap can also cause the condition. A new gas cap with a fresh seal is a possible cheap solution. I had a saturn L that also regularly caused this, usually it's fixed by tightening the gas cap. This error is extremely sensitive to even the slightest leaks. Maybe there's a dirty ground?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.