Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a question. I've been looking into lowering my car and after reading about it I think I'm going to get the FE5 Struts/Shocks & Pedder Spring package from CED.

Cobalt FE5 Struts and Shock with Pedder Spring Pkg TCSS - Crate Engine Depot

I know I need to get the steering rack spacers as well but I'm wondering if I need to buy a camber kit like the one on TTR? Also, If anyone has this set I'd love to know how you feel about them and how good the stance really looks since I can't find many pictures of it.

P.S. I'm upgrading to 17" rims so If this makes any difference than I guess that can be taken into account. :)

**EDIT**
I've got an '08 LS...I just thought that would be something I should have mentioned lol

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Honestly, you probably don't need spacers. I have SSCs with a greater drop, and haven't found a need for them.

FE5 struts and shocks are amazing, and the Pedders springs are the best you can buy (mine are second best, haha).

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Hey Evan!

My name is also Evan!! First off, welcome to the site! I have FE-5 shocks/struts with B&G springs. You'll be really happy with the Fe-5 shocks/struts with pedders. Pretty much the closest thing you'll get to coilovers. You will see a big improvement in handling. The pedders won't lower your car too much though, but I'm not sure how low you would like to go. Good choice though...go for it!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys thanks for the responses!

I was going to put a lip kit on my car and lower it but since I live in Pennsylvania, where it's an uphill battle in both directions on sh*tty roads, there's no way I can live with myself if my car scrapes. So, I decided I just want to lower my car enough to eliminate that horrible wheel gap our cars have...

In your opinions, do you think the Pedder springs will do the job by giving it a clean, lowered look without the need to worry about road rash? Or should I go a different route?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Trust me...I'm on pretty much the lowest springs you can buy, and the roads here are probably the WORST in North America...no joke. With pedders you definitely should not scrape. However, you will still have a little bit of wheel gap with these springs from what I've heard, but it will be much better than stock. I think the performance will outweigh the bit of wheel gap you may have left.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wondering, do you scrape on yours at all?

And do you think the wheel gap would still look kinda sh*tty with the pedders since they don't drop the car that much?

Sorry for the questions but I would hate to buy something and not be happy with it, I'd rather make a well informed purchase haha

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow thanks for those pics Dropped that really helps alot but what about a camber kit would that be necessary? I have 17" Konig Unknowns going on in a few weeks to I want to be 100% ready lol

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Just wondering, do you scrape on yours at all?

And do you think the wheel gap would still look kinda sh*tty with the pedders since they don't drop the car that much?

Sorry for the questions but I would hate to buy something and not be happy with it, I'd rather make a well informed purchase haha
Hey,
I rly think you'll be happy with the pedders. Should look good with your mags. And yes, I do scrape VERY rarely. Only on stupidly designed speedbumps (most of them are fine) and my aunt's driveway, since it's slanted AND dips down at the beginning lol. You should not scrape, especially since the US roads aren't nearly as bad as Montreal roads, no matter where u are in the US.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Weather's warming up that means they're going to be installing the speed bumps around the parking lot at work again lol I really hate those things!

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Hey,
I rly think you'll be happy with the pedders. Should look good with your mags. And yes, I do scrape VERY rarely. Only on stupidly designed speedbumps (most of them are fine) and my aunt's driveway, since it's slanted AND dips down at the beginning lol. You should not scrape, especially since the US roads aren't nearly as bad as Montreal roads, no matter where u are in the US.
You obviously haven't been to Michigan much. :laugh::laugh:

But yeah, just drive carefully, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I would DEFINITELY recommend rack spacers with ANY drop spring.. Pedders lower the front just as much as any other spring.. Its the rear that sits a little higher giving it a slight raked stance.. Any time you lower the car you offset the suspension geometry causing a little bit of bump steer. The solution is to raise the steering rack up so it is once again aligned correctly. The spacers are only 20 bucks and WELL worth it IMO. The people that say you don't need them, don't have them.. :blink1:

I have been running the FE5 struts/shocks w/Pedders for about a year now. I had SSC springs w/FE5 before the Pedders and i would not even think of going back.. DAY AND NIGHT DIFFERENCE!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey thanks man. Yeah I ordered with the spacers and I'm assuming since you're on the FE5's and Pedders you used them also?

By the way, are those Unknowns on your car?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Yes i had the spacers on for the last 6 months or so and you really can tell a difference!

And yes they are the Konig Unknowns.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have those rims sitting in my basement for now can't wait to put them on. Any tires you'd recommend? Mine are 17" I was thinking a good set of Bridgestone summer tires maybe 225/45/17? I'm still not sure what size goes best with the look of the drop on Pedder's.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Yep you got it. I would go with 225/45/17 They will look great! I love the look of the unknowns

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.