Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am not a car guy. I won't pretend to be. I have a 2010 Chevy Cobalt LS (I think it's LS anyways). It has no get-up-and-go to it whatsoever. My old Mazda 3 and my roommates Scion XB both run better. I'm sure it has something to do with the EcoTech engine.

Anyways, on to the real topic...what (if anything) can I do to upgrade my cars overall performance without replacing the entire engine? I'm currently debating whether it's worth putting money into this car to make it a decent vehicle, or just paying it off quickly as possible and trading it in. I've seen the body kits you can get for cobalts and quite honestly, if it's possible to make the Cobalt LS speed up, I think I'd love learning about cars and feeling accomplished by making it a side project. Some of the body kits just look so damn sexy, hah!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yeah the 2010 is tuned for maximum fuel efficiency and performance suffers a bit. My 07 is way peppier than my 2010, but if you drive it hard it will learn your driving habits and start to surprise you but don't expect good fuel mileage in return.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the 2010 is tuned for maximum fuel efficiency and performance suffers a bit. My 07 is way peppier than my 2010, but if you drive it hard it will learn your driving habits and start to surprise you but don't expect good fuel mileage in return.
I honestly am not too worried about gas mileage. When I was stationed in Japan, I drove an Altezza (Which I believe is the same as a Lexus IS200) and it's mileage was crap, but damn I loved that car! Had a 6cyl and whoever owned it before me, fitted it for racing. I freaking loved that car even though I had to fill up every 2 days.

But yeah, I want something that will actually move when I press the pedal. Currently, my cobalt can go 0-60 in like 20 seconds (sadly, thats only a minor exaggeration). As far as aesthetics, I know body and exhaust kits are everywhere.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Does it have traction control?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 07LS will burn the front tires while my 2010LT won't even chirp. Yet surprisingly enough the 07 is better on fuel than the 10
Yeah, I regret not going with the Lexus R350. But since I'm stuck with the Cobalt for 13,000$ remaining, I either need to figure out whether it's worth upgrading and making into a decent car, or whether it's going to be better to just dump as much as I can into paying it off and getting rid of it ASAP.

Yeah, I got ripped off getting this car. But when you have shitty credit from a repo and brief period of unemployment, you kinda take what you can get when the offer arises...

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Then I will not tell you how much I paid for my 2010.

But this is what it looked like when I got it. Cosmetic damage.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Well, you might want to check out the basic bolt ons for power first. Cold Air Intake, Exhaust Header, Downpipe, and Catback, and if you're planning on getting the computer tuned, maybe an LSJ throttle body (larger one from the supercharged Cobalt SS) as well.

I made a thread about my bolt ons that you might want to check out.

Parthros' Total Noob Questions Thread

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Oh, and if you do want to get a throttle body, I've got all the parts you need for it that I'd be willing to sell you. Thought I was going to stay naturally aspirated (only basic bolt ons), but I ended up buying a supercharger kit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, you might want to check out the basic bolt ons for power first. Cold Air Intake, Exhaust Header, Downpipe, and Catback, and if you're planning on getting the computer tuned, maybe an LSJ throttle body (larger one from the supercharged Cobalt SS) as well.

I made a thread about my bolt ons that you might want to check out.

Parthros' Total Noob Questions Thread

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Oh, and if you do want to get a throttle body, I've got all the parts you need for it that I'd be willing to sell you. Thought I was going to stay naturally aspirated (only basic bolt ons), but I ended up buying a supercharger kit.
Awesome. I'll take a look at that thread!

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

So I read Parthros' post and some of the posts of that followed. Would it be worth getting a supercharger from a Cobalt SS and putting it in mine? I know I'll need the ECM (I think it's ECM, I'm bad at this!) as well. But the question is, is it possible and is it worth it?

Also, I saw someone recommending upgrading to the 2.4L, but I was told that it's pointless replacing a stock 2.2 with a stock 2.4...so is 2.4 worth it? If so, I was told to pretty much rebuild the stock 2.4 and add new pistons, polish, etc etc (I am CLUELESS and just repeating the words spoken to me :D)

·
Registered
949 Posts
You can definitely go the supercharger route. You'll need a big list of parts and a couple days to put it on, but it's not terrible to do, and it's the most cost effective way of adding a lot of power. I'd suggest going ahead and doing supporting mods first, such as exhaust headers, downpipe, and catback, as well as thinking about brakes and suspension.

However, once you're ready, you can either try to piece together a kit using the list found here, or buy a ZZP supercharger kit, and an Eaton M62 Cobalt SC. ZZP used to include them with the kit, but they recently ran out of their stockpile, so I think they're buying direct from GM which makes the SC really expensive. You can get a good one from ebay for between $300 and $500.

If you supercharge or turbocharge your Cobalt, you don't need to replace the ECM, but you'll need to get it tuned. You'll likely want to find a good local dyno tuner since the best email tuner (Trifecta) doesn't offer a tune for anything besides the 2.0l Cobalt SS/TC anymore.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

If you're thinking of swapping the whole engine for a 2.4, that's more of an endeavor than it's worth. Some suggest swapping just the intake manifold from the 2.4 to your 2.2, but with the LAP engine (2009-2010), it's really kinda pointless. The LAP intake manifold is pretty similar, if not the same. Plus, you'd be replacing that anyway if you supercharge it using the LSJ (Cobalt SS/SC) parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.