Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pondering for a little while getting a performance chip for my 07 ls 2.2. Im just unsure of what I will get out of it and what the best kind to go for would be, also which ones will and will not void my warranty since I pay extra for the extended warranty. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
My suggestion is not to get one. The only ones "available" are the ones on eBay, and they hurt your car. They don't add anything, and will void your warranty. No such thing as a real chip for Cobalts yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i was really leary of the one's on there, especially when they go for like 20 bucks and claim to add 40+ horses just like that. Im always cautious when messing with my electrical system and computer. Thanks man

·
Registered
136 Posts
No problem, just don't want to see a fellow 'Balter bite the dust because of false promises. I wish it was that simple to add 40hp for $20....lol.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Oh $20 Vs. $800(rough guess) it's all the same...

(excuse this totally sarcastic remark...)

On topic: D.C. is right, the ebay ones hurt more than anything else. Rule of thumb around here says if you want to go fast you must have a fat pocket... You can cut corners in a few places but you still get what you pay for...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah im finding that out haha, Im trying to find ways to beef up the balt short of going forced induction for the sake of the warranty i have on it. I have exhaust already and the CAI coming in the next week or so, any other suggestions??

·
Registered
136 Posts
Downpipe, header, motor mounts, transmission mounts, torque damper

·
Registered
869 Posts
If you already have exhaust and a CAI then you have already voided your warranty, so theres no reason playing it safe now.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you already have exhaust and a CAI then you have already voided your warranty, so theres no reason playing it safe now.
Not true. It only voids warranty if the part itself causes a problem.

·
Registered
869 Posts
It doesnt matter whether or not the part specifically caused the problem. If it can be tied to the problem in any way at all. Lets say our friend has a problem with clutch slippage, the dealer can just as easily say "Well it was designed to work properly with stock number, and with your aftermarket parts the stock condition is no longer guaranteed." Theres already a thread on this site pertaining to this.

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/engine-mods/8061-mods-wont-void-your-warranty-what-they.html

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ok, simple dirty little trick... Stick to easy bold on mods i.e. intake, GMPP exhaust(or the likes). Kepp all your stock parts. If you need to go in for something on the warranty, take the day off, and swap everything back to stock... I don't really recomend it, but I'm sure it could be pulled off... just my 2 cents

·
Registered
8 Posts
The "Ebay" chip is just a Resistor that makes your car think it's running rich and leans out the car a little.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Oh $20 Vs. $800(rough guess) it's all the same...

(excuse this totally sarcastic remark...)

On topic: D.C. is right, the ebay ones hurt more than anything else. Rule of thumb around here says if you want to go fast you must have a fat pocket... You can cut corners in a few places but you still get what you pay for...
what are these said "corners"? lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how does the gmpp CAI stack up against aftermarket intakes? I just ordered one from my dealer and it gets put on next week. The parts guy said some aftermarket CAI's have oiled filters that mess with the MAF and such....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gents (and ladies if there are any on here),
Has anyone used the HPturners, tuning system. It's only available for the supercharged 2.0L and the NA 2.4 L. It looks very similiar to the Hondata tuners used in the Acuras. From the info on HPtuners.com webpage it looks like a good tuner. I'd really like to get some insight if anyone has used it.
Thank

·
Registered
594 Posts
I thought the company Jet performance chip has one for the cobalt?I saw it on the website when I put in the year the make and model of the car.Unless its only towards cavaliers and sunfires with 2.2

·
Registered
265 Posts
what are these said "corners"? lol
Well, in the area of CAI's, whether you buy name-brand or OEM or you just piece one together at o'reily's you're pretty much doing the same thing, so why not do it the cheapestway you can. Just make sure you pay attention to the material they used in the metal... Remeber "More air in, more air out..." that's your basic goal...

Exhaust: The aftermarket exhausts really don't do a whole lot more than the GMPP, which I believe is a couple hundred bucks cheaper... Again, more air in more air out. 2.25 piping is all you need unless your going FI, if you're not larger pipe will actually slow you down a bit...

Motor/Tranny mounts/insert replacments are a great way to add just that small amount of extra torque to the ground.

You should be able to get all of those things and then some done for just short of a grand...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok just checked out the Jet performance website, from what I saw (and I could be wrong), the jet chip has a pre-set program. The HPtuners system allows you to hook up your lap-top and play with all of the motor parameters (i.e. timing, air/fuel ratios, fuel maps, exc...). I think that the HPtuners system is a rather powerful system.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Ok just checked out the Jet performance website, from what I saw (and I could be wrong), the jet chip has a pre-set program. The HPtuners system allows you to hook up your lap-top and play with all of the motor parameters (i.e. timing, air/fuel ratios, fuel maps, exc...). I think that the HPtuners system is a rather powerful system.
They have some of the most powerful tuning programs available for GM vehicles. Theyre also often the most expensive. But if you really know what youre doing and want to get in depth, i dont think theres anything better.

·
Registered
594 Posts
well the thing is though I don't own a laptop since I have no use for them,its not like I am going to hook up 2 mazarati turbos and making sure all the wires are functioning through the laptop:p so the Cobalt can have over 700hp,but from the jet performance chips they claim you get about 13 to 15hp with the 2.2 motors

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.