Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Turbo is better :). If you have an lsj, get 80lb injectors, dual pass endplate, 2.8" pulley and hub, heat exchanger, option b reservoir and a tune. I would highly suggest finding someone that has hp tuners to street tune it rather than going through trifecta. Id also highly suggest getting meth
Where would I get the parts for this I was looking at the GM stage kits and they don't have all the parts on your list?

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
If you compare the efficiency maps from a TVS to an Eaton........lol.

Pulled from a Lotus site, since these guys use the M62 quite a bit.

Compare said pressure maps. Especially since you guys are turning nearly the same RPM's.

In a nutshell, for those that don't want to grasp it.

You're upgrading to a blower that is making the same power, if not more...by spinning LESS RPM's, creating less heat and parasitic loss on the driven accessory (ala, your engine), and has a much broader area to be efficient/make power IN.

If you're making the same power as a 3.0" M62 on a 3.5" TVS, think of what the 3.0" TVS will do...and you're taking 30+ percent less power of your motor, to make the same power, if not more.
This is quite interesting. It's fine for a Lotus, but will it translate the same way for our cars considering we don't rev quite as high?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I wouldn't even think that 1k~ RPM makes that much difference.

You want the darker area anyways, so it's sweet spot is MUCH larger.

Far right and tip top of the graph would be the higher RPM area's.

As you can clearly see, the Eaton just can't even keep pace hardly at any range of RPM's.

For reference, compare said points on both graphs...

Inlet flow of: 800
Pressure of: 2.0

See how the TVS is still pretty well in the beef of it's ability to make power?

Then look at the Eaton graph, see how it's basically teetered off?

Yeah. I wouldn't consider these supercharger's anymore related than that they are belt driven, they whine, use a pulley, and can bolt to an Ecotec.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Also Plain, I forgot to add, Lotus' just use the Celica's 1.8 DOHC VVT 1ZZ series engines...just like the ecotec, a variable valve timing, dual cam'd four banger.

So, I'm pretty sure the comparison would be quite equivalent. I don't think the Celica revs near as high as the Lotus does either..even though it's the same engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So my question is jet stage 2 chip for 07 auto 2.2l w/ sai, the jet programmer or neither. In neither what should i be looking for as far as a tune on a natural aspirated 2.2

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
So my question is jet stage 2 chip for 07 auto 2.2l w/ sai, the jet programmer or neither. In neither what should i be looking for as far as a tune on a natural aspirated 2.2
Definitely neither. Don't waste your time and money on that bogus crap. When you've got all your bolt-ons installed or ready to install, give HPT or Trifecta a call and they'll help you with a tune.

Concerning Trifecta, you'll need a laptop and an EZ Flash cable to upload the tune into your car (via the OBD2 port). I happen to have a sealed and unused Red EZ Flash that I'm looking to get rid of. BNR sells it for $150. I can let it go for less. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have heard mixed reviews about trifecta, so I went with an hpt tune.
Go did an amazing job for never doing an lsj (he did quite a few LNFs though)

Try to get a custom street tune if possible.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank for the advice guys, after my post i did a little more digging & came to the same conclusion. Im near albany ny & supposedly there is someone who does tuning down the road so I'm gonna look @ that. However I'd still like to do my own when adding new parts as i do my upgrades. Its not gonna be a quick build from here on out due to baby on the way. Ideas that aren't crazy expensive!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Modding these cars aren't expensive, depending on what you see as expensive.

At first I was wondering what I got myself into, then looking at parts for more well known cars/bigger engines, our platform is relatively cheap.

Especially if you buy things used.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Very true. These are Cobalts, not Mercs. Aftermarket stuff for our cars are usually on the shallower end of the money pit.

For example, an SC kit for the 2.2 costs about $2500 new. An SC kit for an E92 M3 is 13k+

If you're looking for inspiration, check out ZZP. They specialize in got all kinds of go-fast stuff for anything Cobalt related. Very good site if you wanna go fast without going broke.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Gahh, I want to redo my whole set up now that I am "finished" with it. Could use a little more power and a tad more aggressive of a tune.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Gahh, I want to redo my whole set up now that I am "finished" with it. Could use a little more power and a tad more aggressive of a tune.
If you went with Trifecta, I've heard that Vince is good about working with people to get exactly the tune they want. You could try talking to them about it. If you didn't go with Trifecta, then, uh, disregard my suggestion, haha

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you went with Trifecta, I've heard that Vince is good about working with people to get exactly the tune they want. You could try talking to them about it. If you didn't go with Trifecta, then, uh, disregard my suggestion, haha
Nah, I went to a performance shop and got a custom tune locally.
I talked to a bunch of people that used the guy before I went there, and they all said good things.
I am happy with the tune, I don't question how the car runs one bit. I just want more power.

I need to get on a dyno again. Last time I did I was on a blown IC pump which got me 228/223

21 - 40 of 42 Posts