Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got the car and LOVE it 5 speed 06 LS. already styling the exterier and interier. looking to mod engine but have budget.

looked into some performance chips but wondering if it is even worth it.

thinking my first move will be a new intake but have no idea what to get and like i said it cant cost me too much.

just looking to give my car a lil power so im not just all looks.

any tips on what to do for a beginner with a budget ????

·
Registered
439 Posts
Most suggest injen for cold air intake. they run under 300$

Mine will be here today.

Check the air box mod also.

Full exhaust ( tsudo ) runs around 300

header and down pipe run around 500 for the package.

that will add you a nice amount in total for around 1000

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
First off, DONT GET THOSE STUPID CHIPS.

2nd, a good start for some performance would be an intake, exhaust, header, and downpipe. ( not particularly in that order, OR all at once, just an idea)
3rd, I recommend springs for better handling + lower stance. Looks and drives a LOT better.

4th, search around, youll find lots of good info here as far as choosing WHICH intake, or which exhaust.

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/engine-mods/7885-starters-bolt-performance-mod-list.html
http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/engine-mods/12681-official-intake-thread.html

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Most suggest injen for cold air intake. they run under 300$

Mine will be here today.

Check the air box mod also.

Full exhaust ( tsudo ) runs around 300

header and down pipe run around 500 for the package.

that will add you a nice amount in total for around 1000
"full exhaust" includes header and downpipe. the tsudo is just a cat-back which means its the last part of a full exhaust, but not complete.

I agree with the others, start with an intake there are 100s of options and read through the intake thread. If I recall my numbers right you can make your own for a little more than $100 or buy one for less than $300. If you can put that in, you're on your way to doing more, but that's the easiest performance thing I can think of.

---------- Post added at 07:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

or maybe airbox mod + k&n filter (or just a good filter if you don't want oiled). That would be cheaper and could possibly offer some gain.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
So far all I've really done is a cat back exhaust, intake and drop springs and it makes a HUGE difference! I spent about 300 on both my exhaust and intake from a place called never enough auto (they are a vendor on this site) and I got my drop springs used off of another member on here as well but they can be picked up for 150 dollars and up. Check out all the vendors on here for pricing and options.
Good luck with the car and post up some pics!

---------- Post added at 05:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 AM ----------

Also look on the forum, there's a couple of really helpful threads that will help you get started. One of them is called something like "mods under a hundred bucks" and the other is "a starters guide to bolt on mods" or something like that. I know that isn't exactly what they are called but when you see them you'll know what I'm talking about. Maybe someone can link to them?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
yeah man start with the basics... Letting the Engine breathe better, then go from there.

A tune would be a nice place to go for some better gains as well

Springs etc all can come after, they do make it look really nice, i'm lookin to drop mine :smile1:

·
Registered
110 Posts
the big answer

i have a thread in vehicle show off that shows all the prices of my mods so u can see what cost what... doesnt cost much to do a minor supe up

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
yeah i got my cold air intake for about 200, and my studo exhaust for about 200, those are my performance mods so far on my 06 ls 5 speed and they are amazing! im looking into springs next, and then header and downpipe.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
First off, DONT GET THOSE STUPID CHIPS.

2nd, a good start for some performance would be an intake, exhaust, header, and downpipe. ( not particularly in that order, OR all at once, just an idea)
3rd, I recommend springs for better handling + lower stance. Looks and drives a LOT better.

4th, search around, youll find lots of good info here as far as choosing WHICH intake, or which exhaust.

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/engine-mods/7885-starters-bolt-performance-mod-list.html
http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/engine-mods/12681-official-intake-thread.html
Agree completely

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks all . really heloing out. so far the car is looking sweet i just had the stock rims but painted them falt black came out awesome. also painted the caliber and drums red looks great. got to give the engine a little juice though haha cant be all show and no go . thanks again all

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.