1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thanks man! I've looked into this one a little and was kinda interested but I'm not sure how hard and expensive it would be to swap...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah im guessing pretty expensive but whos knows...you could try looking into it more

·
Registered
575 Posts
Tranny swaps = expensive unless it's an older platform like an L67 swap into a Grand Prix SE with a manual swap from a grand am. there is some sutom fab but not nearly all the hoops u would have to go through for a cobalt

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah good stuff guys thanks....duffy jw out of curiousity why don't you just go to a junk yard a rip a 5 speed out of a trashed cobalt...i would think you wouldn't have to worry to much about building up a five speed it should be good to go as long as its in good condition cause your looking at that garret kit?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
yeah good stuff guys thanks....duffy jw out of curiousity why don't you just go to a junk yard a rip a 5 speed out of a trashed cobalt...i would think you wouldn't have to worry to much about building up a five speed it should be good to go as long as its in good condition cause your looking at that garret kit?
Problem that lies therein, where the heck ya gonna find a yard that has a full Cobalt 5-speed, complete with shifter, linkages, clutch assembly, cables and hoses........oh wait, you would need a brake cylinder that has three line-outs for the clutch fluid, instead of the dual out, then there is the issue of making holes in the floor for the clutch pedal, and setting up the computer for a manual transmission instead of an auto........

Sorry dduffy, i do not see a manual trans swap into an auto being feasable unless you had a full donor car to work with, and even then, y not just fix up the donor, and use it?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do you think there's a way to put the shifttronic/tiptronic system in that car, it would help alot.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Do you think there's a way to put the shifttronic/tiptronic system in that car, it would help alot.
only if you could get a module for it and all the nesessary gear.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do you think it would be easier than changing the whole tranny

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did i say it was easy? did i say it wasnt a lot of work? no... i said its possible and if you find the right car

·
Registered
768 Posts
That's an idea I've also all ready looked at and it would be fairly expensive unless you come across a 5-speed that hadn't been touched and you get a really good deal on it. I think our cars are still to new to have a lot of the stuff that I need and want in a boneyard. I would need the ECU. I'm actually in the process of calling around to local junk yards to find all the parts that I need (just in case I do score a sweet deal on most of the parts and decide to do this)

Problem that lies therein, where the heck ya gonna find a yard that has a full Cobalt 5-speed, complete with shifter, linkages, clutch assembly, cables and hoses........oh wait, you would need a brake cylinder that has three line-outs for the clutch fluid, instead of the dual out, then there is the issue of making holes in the floor for the clutch pedal, and setting up the computer for a manual transmission instead of an auto........

Sorry dduffy, i do not see a manual trans swap into an auto being feasable unless you had a full donor car to work with, and even then, y not just fix up the donor, and use it?
The brake cylinder is an easy fix, The holes in the floor are already traced out and ready to be used, and the shifter wouldn't be needed becuase I'd get a short shifter anyways.
It is very feasable just expensive and time consuming. Tyrone was just trying to help and give ideas (which I appreciate), It's a great suggestion and a good concept it's just that our cars are too new and the parts are costly

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
That's an idea I've also all ready looked at and it would be fairly expensive unless you come across a 5-speed that hadn't been touched and you get a really good deal on it. I think our cars are still to new to have a lot of the stuff that I need and want in a boneyard. I would need the ECU. I'm actually in the process of calling around to local junk yards to find all the parts that I need (just in case I do score a sweet deal on most of the parts and decide to do this)

The brake cylinder is an easy fix, The holes in the floor are already traced out and ready to be used, and the shifter wouldn't be needed becuase I'd get a short shifter anyways.
It is very feasable just expensive and time consuming. Tyrone was just trying to help and give ideas (which I appreciate), It's a great suggestion and a good concept it's just that our cars are too new and the parts are costly
Thus why i stated not feasable till you had a donor car lined up. The cost would be pretty hefty. thus why i bought a standard right off the bat:D

Tyrone, i give you credit for helping out.

cobaltkrazy added 2 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

Do you think it would be easier than changing the whole tranny
as i said previously, if you could find the proper gear to make it work, go for it, but being our cars are too new, they may not have stepped down that path yet.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i wasn't really sure how expensive it would be just an idea...and yeah donor car would probably be ideal....good luck though with whatever you decide to do

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.